It wasn’t exactly what I would call fun, so I truly felt really bad for her.

“Veronica, can I ask you something?” She coughed out between sobs.

“Um.. yeah I guess,” I answered, a little confused why she would want to talk to me about anything at all.

She wiped a few of the tears away from her face, trying to regain some of her composure. She finally looked at me straight in the eyes, her face completely serious.

"Why do you think I'm a whore?" She asked me.

I didn't really think that was what was going to come out of her mouth just then, but she was just full of surprises today so I guess I should have expected something out of the ordinary..

"Well.. because of.." I stuttered, trying to think of a logical answer that wasn't too offensive.

"Do you even have a good reason?" She spat at me.

Her arms were folded across her chest and she was clearly pissed off.

"I know what happened between you and Connor, how you forced yourself on him-" I was interrupted.

"Oh, is that what he told you?" She asked, now sounding annoyed. "Yeah, we had sex. We were both drunk, Veronica. Yeah, it was my idea, but I didn't 'force myself on him,' he wanted to do it too."

At this point, I didn't know who to believe. Connor had lied to me before, but I hardly even knew Jennifer, and before now, all I had ever heard about her were bad things. She looked like she was telling the truth, though, and I couldn't really see a reason why she would lie to me.

"Why should I trust you?" I asked carefully.

"Because I have nothing to lose," She answered back quickly. "My mom married a crazy drunk man, and I literally don't have anywhere to go right now. Connor lied to you about what happened because he didn't want you to think he only wanted you for ulterior motives."

I took a few moments to process what she was telling me. It was true that Connor was trying to impress me with his ‘gentlemanliness’ before we were dating, when were were just best friends. I know now that not all of his polite actions were judges of his true character, and so it would make sense that what Jennifer was saying was also true.

But on the other hand, she could just be saying this because she wants me to stay away from him. Well she didn’t need to try and convince me of anything, he was no longer an interest of mine.

Or, she may be trying to earn my trust for a reason unknown to me at the moment.

“You know what, I’m going to take a chance and just trust you,” I finally said, on top of a sigh.

I didn’t really have anything to lose either, and I was kind of short on friends. Everything with Jc was just awkward and frustrating, so he didn’t really count. I always had Kara and Grace as friends, but now that I knew they were more than just friends, I just felt kind of on the outside of that trio.

Don’t get me wrong, I was fine with them as an item, but I really just felt bad for Devon. He was the only friend left that I didn’t feel completely excluded from or awkward around.

“Well, thanks, I guess,” Jennifer kind of laughed out.

It was so foreign for me to be sitting in my room laughing with Jennifer, of all people. And I actually felt kind of.. happy.

Or at least the closest to happy I had been in a while

“Hey girls,” Hannah said, opening my door without bothering to knock first. “I have some breakfast in the kitchen if you want some. Just come out when you’re ready.”

She exited the room just as fast as she had come in, and the energy had changed. Just as I was about to ask Jenny if she wanted to get up and get some, my stomach growled.

Laughing, we both took that as a sign to get up and get some food. You know, this might not be such a bad Christmas.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! Yes I know it’s kind of awkward that this is Christmas when it’s currently summer, but whatever. I have a few things to address.

I made an account on instagram just for some art stuff that I do and its called {@shebi_doodles} and on tumblr {@shelbi-doodles}. No pressure, but it would kind of be awesome if you went and followed me because I only have like 5 followers and thats kind of sad. Oh, and also no pressure, tell your friends :) ily

Another thing is that I got a couple of messages and comments saying that this story is “too depressing” with all the divorce, adoption, self harm, and abandonment and all of that stuff. First, it’s my story, so I can kind of do whatever I want. Second, that’s real life kids. So I’m sorry if my view of the real world is “too depressing” for you. ***If you don’t like this story, stop reading***

But on that note, I love all of my amazing supporters who leave me nice comments and messages and vote, but also the ones who just read happily :) I’m going to update more soon, this is the last week of school for me and then I’m going on a trip next week so after that I’m going to write a lot more.

Love Always,

~shelbigrace