Chapter 28

Happy Valentines Day. Enjoy 💗
***

Four long months.

Those three words echoed in his head as he watched his daughter sleep. He envied her lack of awareness. She smiled, played, and slept with no worries.

Worries he harbored on his shoulders. Frankly, he was fucking tired of it. He wanted results, nothing was going right. Hired investigators came empty handed with clueless shrugs. What was the point in having money when it doesn't even conclude with needed answers?

Ripping his sight from his daughter Leon marched to his office. A neat glass of whiskey waited for him along with piles of paper. The company was running smoothly, due to his driving need to keep himself occupied.

The gaping hole in his chest hurt him the most when his mind was left unattended. Work was better than sleeping and doing nothing. Then again so was drinking, but Rosalinda would never let him hear the end of it.

His little spitfire; only when the situation deemed it necessary for her to voice her opinions. Leon smiled at the thought of having Rosalinda walk in, seeing the condition he was in. On the outside, there was nothing wrong.

His appearance was the same, nothing out of the ordinary.

Sure his attitude was colder than the Arctic Tundra. But having the one person with the ability to thaw his sub-zero personality into nothing but a puddle at her feet, had been ripped away from him.

If she were here what would she do?

Probably fix him a hot plate from one of her many killer Latin dishes and force him to talk. He would fight against it but would crack looking into her large doe brown eyes.

Leon slammed in his computer password as his hand itched to play with her hair that always smelled like warm cookies. Leon couldn't recall a time that Rosalinda ever smelled bad. Even when sweating she smelt like cookies.

The weird thought of sniffing her made him ache. She would squeak and push him away, with a charming blush on her round cheeks.

Emails sounded as they popped on his screen. His PI once again came empty, nothing but school records and Jamie's transactions.

The man was smart and knew how to play a very dangerous game of hide-and-seek. Only Jamie conquered at hiding and setting out to destroy Leon, in any way possible.

And with Rosalinda in his grasp, Leon's pain grew. Only proving that he was failing in seeking.

There was a loud series of knocks on his front door along with his cell ringing. Rey's name appeared on the screen; Leon had half a mind of not answering. But with all Rey had done for him, he owned his little brother a simple phone call.

"Open the damn door, now." Rey didn't allow Leon time to even clear his throat, but the urgency in his voice shot volts of adrenaline all through his body.

Yanking the door open Leon was greeted by Sherry, an unknown man, and Rey.

They all walked in stared at him. Leon impatiently waited for someone to say something. Rey had his arms folded across his chest, he jutted his chin towards the nervous Sherry wringing her fingers together.

Her hair was a bit disheveled and her eyes rimmed red. The man pulled her to his side and rubbed the sides of her arms.

Leon let out a growl. "Is someone going to talk or am I going to have to pull teeth?"

Sherry but her lip and pushed hair out her face. A habit that Rosalinda would do. Leon missed seeing her thick curly hair.

"We saw her Leon." Sherry's words made him freeze. His pulse pounded in his ears, hoping to whatever God existed that she was correct.