“Ah another wife for one of your boys....is it Seth goodness knows that poor boy needs another wife?”

“Seth had a wife?”

“Yes her name was Britt. She actually came from this very orphanage your standing in” Jo pauses and looks at me “You know little one you look exactly like her I’ll bet any money that you have to watch Seth around this wee thing?”

“Oh yes ...but Seth knows if I die she goes to him”

“What if Seth dies?”

“Simple Little one will become Drew’s wife”

“No way in hell!”I shout and then cover my mouth remembering the children.

“Little one lower your voice. Enough of this how many girl do you have between sixteen and eighteen?”

“One .....Well two but the other is getting a science award today”

“OK take us to her”

We follow Jo up the stairs into a girls bedroom that’s painted a light pink, there’s about twelve beds and four cots in the room. Jo walks over to the curly red head girl who’s studying with her earphones in. Jo rips them out and the girl jumps to her feet mumbling apologies.

“This is Lise she’s coming seventeen in a week, she’s amazing with numbers and loves maths. Lise this is Mr and Mrs Midland they’re interested in adopting you”

“Really? But why?” Lise asks her little face filled with hope at the thought of having a family.

I want to say something but I know if I do Carver could hurt my girls so I stay silent. I want to cry at how cruel this young girls fate will be, she’ll be exactly like me but that depends on if any guys from the gang want her if not I fear Carver kill her.

“My wife and I lost a baby not so long ago Lise and my wife can’t bear the pain of raising a baby because it reminds her of her loss. So we decided to adopt an older girl to give her the chance at having a real family. Would you like to become a part of our family Lise?”

“Oh Yes I’d like that very much!”

“How soon can we complete the process?”

“If you don’t mind me asking was the baby a girl or a boy?” Lise timidly asks.

“We never found out the gender it was just too hard” Carver fakes a tear and the little girl mutters apologies.

“Can I ask another question?”

“Shoot”

“How old are you and your wife....because she looks really young?”

“Well I’m 22 and my wife is 18”

“I’m 16” Lise says with a happy smile.

“Ok Lise say goodbye to Mr and Mrs Midland because they have some paper work to fill out in order for you to go live with them”

Lise rushes over to Carver and gives him a great big hug whispering “Thank you” in his ear.

I don’t let her hug me as I feel guilty as to what I have just stood by and allow to happen, but if I don’t Carver will never let me see the light of day again or my girls.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Jo leads us into a small kitchen that’s painted green. She puts the kettle on and makes us a cup of tea then tells us to stay put whilst she fills out the boring paper work.

“Carver I’ve been thinking you took me for revenge on my father.....what did you take the other girls for?”

“I took Lilly because of her boyfriend little did she know that her loving caring boyfriend was a drug dealer who screwed me over. I took Olivia....I was out at the cinema and just saw her. I took Sophia because I liked her music. I took Jessica because her sister was a prostitute. I took Ruby because the shop owner owed me money. I took Eve because of who her grandmother was”

“Who was Eve’s grandmother?”

“Rene was Rolando’s first love but when she found out what he had planned for her she ran”

“Oh”

“Now where was I? Oh yeah I took Amelia because she was an easy target being home alone with no husband and parents. Ava was just by chance ...well I know the truth now. Holly’s uncle owed me guns not money, so he gave me my guns and Holly. And I’ve saved best for last Chloe, her husband Baxter works for the government that takes down gangs. He’s been after me years so I decided to target him and take the two things he loves the most, his wife and child”

“Is Chloe and her baby alive?”

“Maybe little one maybe but you’ll never know”