Chapter IX - The Road to Rivendell

The night was rough and tough for Frodo. He began growing colderr and drawing more close to the Netherworld. Sam and Rosie were up in front of Frodo's view. Rosie had Frodo's head in her lap as Sam hovered over Frodo.

"Look, Frodo, it's Mr. Bilbo's trolls," Sam said. However, his attempt to comfort Frodo was rejected. The brown-haired hobbit shivered and worse.

"Frodo?" Rosie said. Like a mother attending to a child's fever, Rosie felt his forehead while Sam laid his hand on Frodo's cheek and felt his cold skin. He looked at Strider. "He's grown cold."

Diamond grasped onto Pippin's hand, worrying for Frodo's suffering while Estella had a hand on the younger hobbit lass' shoulder. Pippin volunteered his cloak for Diamond to keep her warm for the night, which she quickly took.

Is he going to die?" Pippin asked.

"No. Frodo will pass in to the shadows and become a wraith like them," Strider answered. They heard Frodo breathe more loudly and loudly as time went on. Strider gestured for Sam to come forward.

"Sam do you know the Athelas plant?" Strider asked him.

"Athelas?" Sam asked.

"Kingsfoil."

"Aye, that's a weed," Sam said.

"Hurry! If we find it now, we may find a way to slow the poison down."

"Here, let me help," Rosie said. "I've helped my father on our farm in the past, so I know what the plant may look like.

"Okay, but we need to find it now," Strider said. He went one way while Sam and Rosie went the other way. She helped Sam look through the plant. However, Rosie accidentally brushed her hand up against Sam's. They looked at each other for a brief moment, but Rosie never noticed how beautiful his green eyes were. She quickly looked away, hurriedly looking for the plant. She didn't have time to look romantically in his eyes. They had to save her. 

I hope we can save them, Rosie thought. She couldn't find anything whatsoever. However, luck struck when Rosie found the very familiar plant: kingsfoil. She took out a dagger Strider had given her and cut the plants out of its place. She was going to retreat back to the camp when a bright light invaded their sights. In came a white horse with a very fair woman with flowing brown hair who rode upon its back. Rosie had never seen anything more beautiful in her entire life. She spoke in some form of Elvish that Rosie could not understand.

Both the Elven maiden and Strider came down next to Frodo.

"Who is she?" Merry asked.

"She's an elf," Estella answered. She had to admit, a very pretty elf at that. Arwen immediately ran to Frodo' s side.

"Frodo!" Arwen said, trying to call him back to the Light. She looked back to Frodo. "He's fading!

"Rosie, do you have the kingsfoil?" Strider asked her. Rosie looked back at him.

"Uh, yes, right here," Rosie answered. She gave him the plant quickly as Strider took out the athelas and began administrating it to Frodo.

"He's not going to last. We must get him to my father," Arwen said. Everyone watched her carry Frodo to her horse. "I've been looking for you for two days. There are five wraiths behind you. Where the other four are, I do not know.

Strider and Arwen exchanged a few words, but none of the hobbits knew what she was saying. However, Estella could hear several words briefly, remembering the language her uncle, Bilbo had taught her and Frodo. She heard them talking about Arwen being a fast rider and how she could get Frodo to Rivendell faster.