09 | right here

joe hadn't really left maisie's side until she got told that she was allowed to leave the hospital. so currently, joe was helping the girl out of
the car and into her family home, where joe had been living since he landed.

in the process, joe had met a few different faces that were regulars in Maisie's life. joe and tom formed an oddly strong bond throughout the time of him being here. of which he was thankful. he had heard the rumours about the two, but he trusted his girlfriend enough to know when a rumour truly is, a rumour.

with much ease, she got settled into her room.
though maisie wasn't putting up a fight nor did she show that she was phased by what was going on and her situation, joe knew it was all because of her acting skills.

he knew that she was drowning in anxiety, he knew that she was trying so, so hard to stay strong in front of her family, for their sake. she didn't want to seem weak.

joe admired her for this, but he couldn't help but think that she shouldn't be doing it. she was a strong, brave girl: yes. but everyone has their hard times and not everyone is okay all of the time. she needed to understand that it was okay to be scared and vulnerable.

"i love you, you know?" joe blurted out.

maisie looked at him, "i love you, too. so much." she said quietly.

watching as she would try and make a move and then wince, made joe wince. he hated watching this and not being able to do anything to help.

"stop looking at me like that," she mumbled,

"like what?"

"like you know i'm not really brave or strong. that you know when everyone's gone i cry,"

joe's face turned to sadness at her words, "i feel so broken, joe. i can't believe this," she whimpered.

joe was too tired for this, so was maisie. a conversation like this was meant for another day.

"get some rest," he whispered, leaning down and kissing her head, "i'll be right here." he added, sitting down on the sofa chair next to her bed, "right here."