2

Y/n slipped into some sportswear and tied her not-so combed through brown hair into a ponytail. She did her warm-ups and stretches in her room even if she knew she'd be doing them again with the guys when they reached the track. She tied her shoes and left her room conveniently at the same time Bucky opened his door just across the hall and was about to leave as well. He wore a plain dark grey muscle tee and some loose fitted shorts.
She greeted him and started walking down the hall next to him to the kitchen. They found Steve trying to flip some flapjacks and Sam blending up a protein shake.

Y/n sat on a stool at the counter next to where Bucky seated himself. She started packing a granola bar, a banana, a bag of gummy bears, two bottles of water, and a shotgun with an extra magazine into her bag.

"Is that really necessary, y/n?" Bucky asked amused, leaning forward curiously.
"Well, yeah, what if something happens?" she replied sticking her tongue out at her friend.

She was about to tell him something but he was in a good mood this morning, which was quite rare, so she didn't wanna ruin that, especially after having to comfort him from another nightmare. So she spoke to Steve and Sam, manipulating the vibrations of her voice making Bucky unable to hear her words.
"He doesn't know that Hydra could be out there hunting him down, does he?" she asked the two men furrowing her brows and giving a stern look.

Steve and Sam look at each other, then at Bucky, then back at her. Her brows raised unimpressed and she scoffed.

"Listen, y/n," Steve sternly stepped forward, "Bucky knows they're out there trying to gather every winter soldier they've created, but he's really trying hard to forget them. You think it's easy walking around with a shiny metal arm without people looking at you?"

"Whatever, it's whatever," she sighed allowing Bucky to be able to hear her again, "but stay on guard."

"Yes ma'am," Bucky smiles as if nothing had happened. Y/n added a taser and handcuffs into her bag partially out of spite, but also because anything really could happen.

The group walked out the doors of Stark Tower and headed to Central Park that was just 20 minutes away by foot, which to Sam was a good warm-up on its own. Y/n and Sam were keeping a sharp eye on their surroundings while Steve and Bucky were behind them doing the same. He still felt self-conscious about his left prosthetic standing out reflecting the sun and bringing attention towards him. He feared that that would make him easy to spot by them.

The park was filled with kids on the jungle gyms and twisty slides while their parents watched from afar on park benches, or played chess to kill time while their kids had fun. There were other joggers and cyclists around the park as well, some new and some who have already been regularly working out there for years. It was a cool, bright morning, the breeze was blowing west and the sun was covered by the clouds just enough to not be blinding or scorching hot.

Y/n groaned in slight discomfort, her brows knit together.
"What's wrong?" Bucky asked looking around trying to find something that would've put her in such a state.

"The weather is just great," she replied flatly.

"Oh, I know righ-"

"I hate it," she cut off, "it seems pretty suspicious."

"Oh my god, can't you just accept that good days exist and enjoy them?" Sam complained after taking a sip of his protein shake. Y/n shook her head, her brows still knitted together while she stood there lost in thought.

"I... no, I can't." she mumbles out, closing her eyes trying to think of an explanation for what her gut is trying to tell her, "Somethings not right, but I don't know what it is. Just stay on defense."

The group started jogging together, but of course, they'd later separate and stay within their pace, Steve being ahead as always. T
Y/n still felt something just wasn't right, leaving her distracted and almost at the same pace as Sam (which wasn't that far ahead.)

"Hey, you alright?" he asked looking at his right seeing his distressed friend, "Look, this is obviously bothering you, and I know you well enough now to know that this ain't just you being stubborn anymore. Just say the orders and I'll gather the grandpas."

Y/n nodded absentmindedly, then suddenly slowed her pace and went to a full stop pulling Sam to the side.

"Shit, it's only 6:00 AM," she started, her voice shaking with heavy breaths following along, "it's way too early for kids and parents to be here."

"Let's just go find Steve and Bucky?" Sam suggested, looking around at the people in the park and observing their actions. Nothing seemed suspicious or sketchy about any of them so far, but he trusted y/n. It wasn't until the two continued their jog, which turned into a run as they looked for their friends, that Sam spotted from the corner of his eye a group of parents sitting on a park bench looking at them running and mumbling things to each other.

"Y/n..." Sam quietly called.

"Way ahead of you, Sam," she replied, listening closely to the conversation the people had.

Do you think they noticed? Don't blow your cover!

He's watching us... Should we release the children? Release the children.

Wait for it, not now. Shhhh... not yet, you fool!

She looked around the jungle gym and twisty slides noticing that these kids were already about 13 or 15.

Y/n gulped and tears started forming once she realized what they meant but she quickly wiped them away before they could run down her cheek, "Sam, we need to find Cap and Buck...quick." her voice trembled, "especially Bucky."