6. Working Together

Start from the beginning

                Euromus just laughed. "I have the right to inspect my own windmill, Prince Hero." He took a hat from his carriage and put it on between his antlers. "I'll only be a moment," he said to his driver. The small crowd parted and let him through.

                Uhua lingered back with Hero. "He does have a right to inspect it."

                "I know," Hero grumbled. "It just seems so invasive that they can march into our camp at any time."

                Uhua sighed. "It's a camp, Hero! "The sooner you get used to being a refugee the better." She flipped her tail and followed the Grand Duke to the windmill.

                Once they were all there, Hero collected his lunch pail as the Grand Duke looked around inside.

                "Marvelous!" the stag said. "Simply marvelous. You did all of this with the timber from my forest?"

                "We did," Hero said. "But it still has a long way to go."

                "And no doubt you'll have it complete in no time flat!" the Grand Duke said. "You're a regular engineer."

                "Hero spent hours in his windmill back home in Nagoray," Lahar said. "I was always very impressed."

                "Oh, Lahar no one wants to hear those old stories." Uhua said. "The Grand Duke only cares about what we have now."

                Euromus smiled at her then turned to the ladder. "Does this go all the way to the top?" He asked Hero.

                "Only the second floor," Hero said. "I built it as a storage. When it's complete they'll be a platform here with a pulley so—" He paused as the Grand Duke made his way up the ladder. "Your Imperial Majesty, it's not safe!" He warned and scrambled after him.

                Euromus ignored him and climbed up to the next floor and waited. When he saw Hero's face he exploded with laughter. "You should see you face! Really, I can look after myself."

                "Really?" Hero gasped. "What if that ladder had snapped and you had fallen and broken a bone? The Emperor would blame my people for sure!"

                "Your Highness, you prejudge me," Euromus said. "I don't mean to offend your people or set you on edge. You're very young and you have a lot on your shoulders and I know this causes great stress. I had to take on great responsibilities when I was young too." He followed Hero over to the window and looked out. "When I was only thirteen all of this became mine. Now I'm nearing twenty-six and that young boy I was seems like another person's lifetime. I grew, and I learned and I became better. You will too, so there is no need to stress all the small things."

                Hero sucked his teeth and turned away from the window. "You don't know," he said. "I've seen worlds crumble, Your Imperial Highness. I've seen lives snatched just for the sake of profit." He scoffed. "Responsibilities? Ha, I laugh at the word. This is nothing compared to what I've experienced. Life in fear, life as a slave."

                "You're free now," Euromus said.

                "Free on the outside," Hero said. "But every night I dream I'm back there and it's real to me. I can feel the chains, taste the fires and the blood and the misery. I'm afraid to sleep, and that isn't freedom."

                A long silence hung between them. For a moment only the creaking windmill could be heard. Finally the Grand Duke sighed.

                "Perhaps I will never understand you, Prince Hero," He said. "I know the Emperor thinks you all savages but please understand that his thoughts aren't my thoughts. I've come to know you as a very intelligent people. However long it is you stay in our land I want you to feel welcome. But we have to put our differences aside and work at it."