xii

✧✧✧

ABOUT 200 MILES FROM KING'SLANDING ON THE KING'S ROAD,298 AC

LANDING ON THE KING'S ROAD,
298 AC

THE MOON WAS AT ITS PEAK when Mallie awoke to a soft jolt. Her body was freezing and the golden-haired girl had realized that the fur blanket that she fell asleep with had fallen to the floor of the carriage. Mallie pulled back the cloth that covered the window and a strong scent slapped her across the face.

The specific scent that surrounded King's Landing had always been discussed about, even since Maegor Targaryen built the Red Keep. It has a stench of pigsties and stables, and despite possible pigsties or stables being nearby; Mallie knew that that particular scent belonged to King's Landing since it never left her nose.

The girl pulled back the cloth that covered the window even more, watching more moonlight explore the inside of the carriage. She looked more closely at the environment outside of her carriage, and Mallie came to the conclusion that the caravan that traveled to King's Landing had came to a standstill.

The girl with the golden girl grabbed the fur blanket from the floor of the carriage, and wrapped it close around her neck. She let a sword hang at her waist by a brown leather belt. Mallie stepped out of the carriage, closing the door behind her. Two Stark guards stood beside the door, conversing with one another in a low hushed tone. The girl found herself passing the two guards clad with the sigil of a direwolf.

"Handmaiden," a voice called out to her.

Mallie turned her head and saw the man whose face had seemed to be half-charred, Sandor Clegane. He was to the side of the caravan, and was tying his horse's reins to a tree branch. She walked over to him and nodded towards the caravan, "Would you happen to know what stopped this?"

Sandor Clegane chuckled, first taking off the saddle that sat on his horse and setting it also on the low tree branch before turning to her to answer, "Anyone who has heard the supposed rumors can make a good enough guess." Mallie turned to the front of the caravan. Three large crimson red tents with the sigil of a golden lion had been set up. The man paused and looked with her, "Notice how there's three tents? One for the Imp, one for the princes and princess, and one final tent for the Kingslayer and her Grace."

Mallie nodded. Rumors had been present amongst Westeros ever since Jaime Lannister joined the King's Guard as a squire while King Aerys of the House Targaryen was ruling. The rumor being that: Jaime and Cersei Lannister had always had a certain connection ever since they were children. "I see. Had this happened when the King rode to Winterfell from King's Landing?"

"Of course it'd happened."

"And how long had the carriages started to move after the tents were set up?" Mallie wondered, she pulled her arms more snuggly underneath the fur blanket.