prologue

✧ ✧ ✧

HIGHGARDEN,282 AC

HIGHGARDEN,
282 AC

THE CITY RUNG with the shouts of lords, ladies, and knights of the rich lands. The day had been expected to be like any other day within the walls of Highgarden: Lord Tyrell's two sons, Willas, a boy of nine, and Garlan, a boy of five would run around Highgarden's streets as the rest of the city watched them frolic with dull wooden training swords.

"You don't stand a chance against me or any of my men. Surrender or you shall be rotting in my keep's dungeons," is what Willas said as he cornered his younger brother to a stone wall, pointing his wooden sword at Garlan's neck jokingly.

Garlan swung up his sword at Willas' own, allowing Garlan to escape his older brother's clutches. Before he turned into a wide staircase leading up to where the keep of Highgarden lay, ontop of a hill; he swung his head towards Willas who was struck with astonishment, and laughed boyishly.

The two boys ran up the steps of the stone staircase to the training grounds where the commander of House Tyrell's knights had been shouting at the men of Highgarden who had pledged loyalty to House Tyrell. The knights and lower-class guardsmen had been paired up with one another and each pair had a dull wooden training sword in-hand.

"Where are those two boys?" a lady spoke. This lady was tall, dignified, and handsome, with long silvery hair, she appeared to be with-child as a bump was present just in the front of her belly; the woman had came to the age of twenty-two, but her appearances spoke otherwise as she glowed in a thin grey dress. Alerie Tyrell of House Hightower was born in Hightower, and ended up marrying a man by the name of Lord Mace Tyrell of House Tyrell; she bore him his first two sons: Garlan and Willas, and more were on their way. The lady crossed her arms gently, resting them snugly just above her bump, "I told Willas and Garlan to not wonder off too far if it appears that the sun is setting."

"Don't worry, my love," a man yelled out. He wore green robes that hugged his stature slightly, had blonde hair that has been messily put up. He was Mace Tyrell, the Lord of Highgarden, Warden of the Reach, and the husband of Alerie Tyrell. "Those two would know logic by now. The captain of the Roseguard has grown to favor their presence, and I've seen him teach our boys some."

"I presume they would, but the nights are growing to be more dangerous than they've been before," Alerie came to a conclusion. The lady rubbed her belly slightly, as if to comfort her unborn child or children. "Mace - I've decided what we could name the babes or babe."

"My love and my lady, you have named my sons wonderfully. I am sure that any other suggestions would be fine," the man smiled, and he walked over to his wife and carefully placed his hand onto his wife's own hand and intertwined it. "What were you thinking?"

The lady paused for a moment, her mouth ajar as if to be thinking, "If it is to be a girl: then either she is to be named either Olenna, after your mother or Mallerie. And if it is to be a boy: then he is too be named Loras or yet another name."

"Why Mallerie, my dear?" Mace Tyrell wondered. The name that his wife had suggested had been a curiosity since there had been no women of that name in either his own house, House Tyrell, or his wife's house, House Hightower, for that matter.

The woman blushed and whispered to her husband as if in embarrassment for recommending a name that would have no relations to the Tyrell name, "Well - lots of lords and ladies have and are continuing to combine their names and pass it down onto their babes. And since our combined name would be ... Mallerie, I thought it would be a nice name for a daughter."

"You always seem to amaze me," the lord of Highgarden cooed to his wife, who had been reassured of her choice of names. Mace Tyrell kissed his wife hand, and set off towards where the captain of the Roseguard and the Roseguard themselves had been finishing up their training, "Farewell, my love; I've got to discuss with the Roseguard captain about certain squires."

"Hopefully not about anything bad," Alerie Tyrell told him.

He responded, reassuring Alerie: "Certainly not."

"That's good to hear," the woman chirped as her husband set off towards a man armored with fine leather.

Afterwards when the sun retired, allowing for the moon to take its place: all of the Tyrell children and family members returned to the castle of Highgarden and to their chambers where servants and handmaiden tended to orders until the members of House Tyrell would be pleased. The birds settled in in their nests, and silence masked the entire city like a thick black mist.

✧✧✧