Chapter Sixty Four

The anger in the courtroom was palpable. Polly shifted uncomfortably in her seat, not daring to glance at her parents, because she knew exactly what she'd find there. When she closed her eyes and tipped back her head, she could picture the moment her parents had come back for her. The moment she sat in the Principal's office with them. The moment they pushed her into the office and locked the door.

She could picture her younger sister, holding onto her toys. She could picture the baby. She could picture everything she was supposed to be, and be a part of, but her gut twisted at the thought of it. The thought of being locked away forever, abused because of who she loved.

Her uncle and aunt weren't there yet. It was quiet, almost too quiet, and Polly could feel the beating of her heart against her chest, racing like it was trying to escape. In her mind, she knew this was it: freedom. But, doubt crept through her like acid, coating the walls of her insides and seeping into her brain.

Doubt that her parents would win, take her home, and finish what they started.

The doors at the back of the courtroom opened, and Polly turned to see her aunt and uncle, walking in together, their heads held high. When they saw her, warm smiles crossed their faces, wishing she was already back in their custody. Back where she was safe.

There were no people in the jury like in the movies, Polly noted. It was her parents, her aunt and uncle, and the judge. And, lawyers, of course. Both quiet, both sure of themselves, but Polly prayed that her uncle's judge would win.

The judge looked at Polly's aunt and uncle, and then at her parents. "You two are her parents, correct? We're here to discuss her legal guardianship."

Polly's father was the one who spoke first. "Yes, we are her parents. And we both find it outrageous that we even have to be here. She's our child, and she was kidnapped by those two, who are trying to take her back. Can't you see that? Our daughter is in danger!"

Polly's aunt and uncle shook their heads in astonishment, but before they could talk, the judge wrote something down, then gestured to her aunt and uncle. "I've heard about your case, but feel free to join in on why you want custody."

Polly's uncle pulled out a sheet of paper. "Here is the discharge paper from the camp that Polly was in, and here is proof that Polly's parents were contacted. Now, Polly's parents never came for her when she was discharged, so we took her in. We were contacted after her parents never made an effort to bring Polly home. They never once got in contact with us to ask about Polly, nor did they tell the police Polly was missing. They also never visited the camp to see her. I believe that's a case of abandonment, which is why we believe Polly should be in our custody."

The judge turned to Polly's parents, but her mother already had a rebuttal. "We wanted her to stay in the camp, that's why we didn't pick her up! She belongs there!"

Her uncle looked at Polly's parents, his eyes dark and his face cold. "I will not apologize for thinking that your daughter is perfectly normal, and does not deserve to be tortured for her sexual preferences. And if you agree that your own daughter deserves to be tortured, to be whipped and cut open and abused, then I don't think you deserve custody of her."

Polly's mother opened her mouth to argue, but nothing came out. There was nothing for her to say against that, because what mother agreed to someone torturing their daughter? No, she wanted Polly to be straight, but whichever means possible, even if it meant looking away at what actually happened behind closed doors.

Her uncle turned to the judge. "If Polly's own parents were abusing her, beating her, and torturing her, would you take away custody?"

The judge eyed Polly's uncle, trying to figure out why he would ask such a question. "Of course I would take away custody." The judge turned towards Polly's parents. "Are you abusing your children?"
"No!" Her mother yelled into the nearly empty courtroom.