Chapter Thirty-Six

Polly's uncle was shaking, but he was also grinning in his office. Polly sat in a spinning chair, her eyes resting on Gryphon, who sat in the corner. A cigarette dangled from his mouth, but it wasn't yet lit. Her uncle didn't allow smoking in his office.

"I can't believe we did it," Polly mused, almost in shock. What shocked her the most was definitely seeing Kenzie there, wielding more than one gun, looking in charge of the situation. And she was even more shocked to find out her role in the whole scenario: she was Elliott Cole's sister.

Keith Chambers was Elliott's sad father, who was upset at the fact that he never got to meet his child. And Mary was the woman he loved, the woman he let manipulate him, and the woman that ruined his chances of ever getting to know Elliott.

"I know. And better yet, Mary Cole is finally in jail, along with Keith Chambers. Assassin extrodanare." Keith Chambers had been a hard case to crack; his new identities made him hard to catch, but they finally did.

Polly felt antsy. She wanted to talk to Kenzie, and she wanted to talk to Gryphon. She was aching to make sure everyone was alright, including Elliott, whom she didn't even know. But the thought of the boy made her squirm with the fear that he and his siblings were not alright.

"Polly, will you walk me out?" Gryphon asked, purposefully dragging her from the office. He wanted to talk to the blonde, but he wanted to do so in private, and he wanted to make sure she was safe with her uncle.

Polly agreed, jumping out of the office chair. She saluted her uncle, then closed the heavy door behind her. Gryphon was paces in front of her, moving quickly down the hallway. He didn't need her help navigating the place, so Polly knew what his motives were.

When they reached the entrance, he turned to her, his eyes drawn. He looked nervous and worried, but so was Polly. It came with being abused and living with the real fear that darkness was around the corner. A life the both of them knew quite well. Too well.

"Tell me you're safe," he said in one breath, his voice clearly worried. His hands found her upper arms, which was a protective gesture. One Gryphon was surprised he was using on the girl he barely knew.

It didn't matter, though. Her experiences, her past, made her family to him.

Polly nodded. "Yeah, I am. I am safe. My uncle and my aunt are great people."

Gryphon let out a sigh of relief for her. When he closed his eyes, he could again picture a younger Polly, trapped in the same Hell he had been trapped in. A situation neither child asked for, but received.

"Tanner is looking for you, you know," he bent his head to look into her eyes, "he's here and he wants you back."

Polly leaned her forehead against his, placing her trust in his care, which she didn't do so readily. If it wasn't for his past, she wouldn't have cared for him.

"I know. I've seen him. It's complicated."

Gryphon pulled back. "You've seen him? When? How are you still here?"

Polly pulled out of his grasp all together, her body shaking. "He said he wanted to talk, that was all. And for some reason, he's been quiet. Really quiet. But my uncle, he knows. And I'm safe."

Of course, Polly had no idea about whether or not she was safe. Her words were merely used to put Gryphon at ease, for he seemed more worried than her. "How did you know he was here?"

Gryphon stuffed his hands in his pockets, his head bent. "I saw him too. He came to see me, to ask about you. I told him I had no idea where you were, but here you are. So close to him. It worries me, Polly. Tanner had such an infatuation with you. Like no other 'camper' he had."