Chapter 9 - Promises

Author's Note:- Meap T^T There's a little flashback in this chappie, along with a bucket-load of feels ;^; Sorry my lovelies, but I just had to o.o

Levi was waiting on his horse, the reins grasped tightly in his hands, his knuckles beginning to turn white. He adjusted himself in the saddle, squeezing the horses sides just slightly, but not enough to make it move just yet. Puffing out a breath of foggy air, Levi glanced around as he waited for the rest of the soldiers to get ready.

It was funny how he'd be chucked out into the stables last, and he was the first to get ready. He sighed in annoyance, shifting in the saddle once again, wincing just slightly as he did so. Curse the blonde who'd done this to him. Curse him to Hell and back. Levi grumbled in sheer annoyance, glancing down at the reins before glancing up again quickly as he heard the sound of approaching hooves.

Sighing in relief as he saw the rest of the Squad arriving, Levi tried to control his snorting, impatient mare who was by now, pawing at the ground, eager to get started. Levi's gaze trailed over to Petra who was laughing away at something that Mike had said... before his gaze trailed over to Erwin, his jaw immediately tightening in something not too different from hatred. Yet, it was a weird sort of emotion... as the short, small man didn't exactly hate the Commander... there was another emotion mixed up alongside it, an emotion that he didn't want to decipher...

"Took you long enough.'' the black-haired man grumbled as Erwin passed him, a somewhat smug smile on his face as he saw how uncomfortable Levi looked in his saddle.

"We were having a chat, got a bit carried away, sorry." Erwin chuckled to himself, sending a small wink Levi's way, making the small man grumble in annoyance, now incredibly tempted to run Erwin over with is horse. "Y'know, you don't look so small when you're on a horse, Heichou." Erwin snorted. Levi chose to simply ignore him, kicking his horse into a slow walk, heading over to Farlan and Isabel.

"Hey, Levi!" Petra suddenly called, making Levi immediately turn to face her. He felt the faint hint of a smile attack his lips as he saw her trotting up to him, her auburn locks rising and falling in time to the horses gait. Levi pulled on his horses reins, making it stop as he waited for her to catch up to him.

"Hmmn, you wanted me?" Levi hummed softly, glancing over at Petra and raising an eyebrow at her slightly. She beamed up at him in return, leaning over in the saddle and giving him a warm hug, snuggling into his shoulder for a brief moment... though it was that brief moment in which Levi felt like he was in heaven, ''Don't die out there, m'kay?" she whispered quietly, quickly pulling away from the hug and coughing awkwardly, ''I don't want so much as a scratch on you, got it?" she frowned.

Levi blinked, still in slight shock after having been hugged by someone that wasn't Isabel. "Uhh... okay, I'll try not to die." he said, dipping his head into a small nod, ''But you'll have to promise that you won't die either, m'kay?" he asked, a small smile making its way onto his face. It was strange how it was only in this persons company when he actually, genuinely smiled.

Petra sighed, but dipped her head into a nod none-the-less, ''I'll be fine, Heichou, don't worry, I'm used to all of this lark by now, anyway.'' she hummed, glancing over at the soldiers as they began to slowly head for the Wall, "It's you and your friends that are the newbies.'' she frowned, glancing over at Farlan and Isabel who were acting perhaps a bit too happy for the current situation.

''I'll watch out for them. I made a promise long ago that I'd protect them with my life." Levi said, his smile suddenly dropping and his face becoming incredibly solemn, ''If they die, then a part of me will die with them." he murmured, glancing over at his two comrades, some wild emotion darting across his orbs, something that not even he could decipher.