Part 12 - A Man Behind The Mist

The series of endless footpaces had overwhelmed the place where the two wanderers sat, since they decided to wait in silence under the shadow of the big tree. Those bushes around them and the forest leaves floor were rustled by the never ending waves of those bird wyverns.

The fog was getting even thicker and those hordes of Genpreys just kept coming; while Trish, without moving, leaned her back to the tree behind her; throwing her sight around, holding Ellen close with both her arms.

"So, we wait?" Said the young man breaking out.

"Indeed! And what do you mean they can't see us? You mean we can just walk away without being shredded to pieces?" Trish whispered, while her eyes were trying to keep up with those shadows which moving past.

"I have no idea." Said the young hunter in his whisper. Clueless. He was aimlessly playing with his hunting blade. Grabbing the hilt in various ways, as if it helped him to stay focus.

It was Kael. His straight dark brown hair which fell above his shoulder, jagged at the end. His brown eyes were staring aimlessly either to the ground or toward his metal blade. His fair white skin on his face gloomed under the shadow of the tree, but those red freckles on his cheeks were still remained visible. If it wasn't because of his thick eyebrows which gave him more serious look, his nervous smiles were sometimes adding the fresh tone to his child-looking face. Pointed chin, and had no beard; typical image of a teenager from Fereimar.

His green tunic was made from long panels of cotton which were stitched vertically into one. It was covered with a black leather pauldrons those were connected with a medium sized baldric with the same tone of color with silver lock. His dark green robes hung from his neck to his wrists. Dark green leather leggings met a pair of light metal graves from his knees to his ankles and his toes.

Eight hours before, the young man told Trish to wait in that place until he came back. Kael left to find their main objective they had lost track with. But he failed in his tracking and returned with the same result when he left,

—even worse.

"You sure about this? We can just sit here and wait?

"Trust me. I don't know how to explain but yes; it is safe to wait here."

That memory recalled when she was only a stretch arm away from a great Gendrome earlier. It was exactly like what Kael had mentioned. That creature just walked passed her without leaving a single scratch.

"This doesn't make any sense! And, why? Why are there so many of them?"

Kael shook his head. "Are they possibly migrating?"

Trish's tongue sat uncomfortably inside her mouth every time she saw Ellen's pained expression. She gave out a sigh and turned her face facing him. "Have you ever read any of this being recorded somewhere?"

Kael rolled his eyes. "A massive amount of Genpreys were doing this crazy migration? I don't think so."

"Got any theories?"

"This place is deserted; maybe they are looking for some places where they can hunt. I don't know, this is the strangest thing I've ever seen."

"Strange thing. You're right." Trish's mind started to wander off, but Ellen's weak grunt pulled her back in directly.

"Wait. Do you think it has anything to do with the big storm which is approaching from the north?"

Trish nodded while wiping Ellen's face with her handkerchief. "Wildlife is capable of sensing the upcoming danger. Gosh! She is sweating bullets."