Part 5: Descendants?!?!

Start from the beginning

I quickly grab the radio off my belt and turn it on. "Sully! Are you there!"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine. Still in one piece. You knocked me on my ass, though," he responds and Elena, Nate, and I breathe out in relief.

"Yeah well, you better get back to the library. We're going to have to find another way out of here," Nate says into the radio before turning it off.

I place it back on my belt and flash my light around the room, "Well, there's no way but forward."

My two friends nod and we jog through through the opening in the tomb wall and down some stairs into a dark and cold corridor. I run through the path and slow down once I reach the exit, into a cistern-like area with paths all over the place. The other two catch up to me and we look around in awe.

"What is this place?" Elena asks and an involuntary shiver runs up my spine. 'There's definitely something off about this place' I frown and Nate rests a hand on my shoulder.

"Are you okay? You zoned out again," he states and I fake a smile.

"Yeah... yeah! I'm fine," I tell him and he narrows his eyes. My eyes dart away from his gaze and I look around the paths that go everywhere, "What an elaborate way to hide a treasure."

"Which path should we start with?" Elena asks us.

Nate looks around, "Huh- wait a second..." he trails off and runs forward. I follow him while Elena staying behind to look around. Nate runs down some stairs and along one of the paths, dropping down onto the stone below. I follow him when something catches my eye several meters above me. I look up to the paths higher in the cistern to see something blurry run past. 'That wasn't human...' I frown, my eyes widening in slight fear.

"H-Hey, Nate," I whisper and he turns around to look at me.

"My god, you look like you saw a ghost," he says and I lick my dry, chapped lips.

"There's something down here... it's not human."

"It was probably just your mind playing tricks on you."

"No, there's some messed up shit going on here and I don't like it one bit."

"We'll find the treasure, then we'll get out of here," Nate tells me and rubs my shoulders reassuringly, when I remember how badly he wanted to leave a few hours ago.

'Funny. Now he wants to find the treasure and I want to leave' I tell myself before I follow my close friend along the path marked with the roman numeral for three. 'So we've went on paths 'I', 'II', and 'III' without me even noticing... how many more are there' I mentally sigh when we pass over the sign for 'IV'. The path splits into two and I look down a few steps to my left to see the symbol 'V' on the wall.

"This way," I say and we take the stairs down the path for 'V'. I jump onto a wall at the bottom, and climb up the stone pieces to the top landing. Nate follows me up and we run ahead and make our way up some stairs. We follow the path back to a water mill with the symbol for 'II' marked below it.

Nate and I shrug and he pulls the lever down, making the mill start to move. The large cogs start to turn and we hear Elena call up to us, "Some things just started moving near me!"

"Well, let's hope that was correct," Nate says, and we turn around and run back down the path.

We make a right instead of climbing back down the wall and I jump and grab onto the chain that moved from where it was originally placed. I climb up the chain onto the stone pathway above me and I look down to see the path for 'V' continues to my right. I follow the narrow stone path, dropping down onto some stairs on my left.