19. A Pirate Song

Start from the beginning

Narissa turned her head and stood up to embrace her. "I'm so sorry this is happening," she muttered to her younger friend.

"It's not your fault. But what are you doing here? Did he also make you walk the plank?" Elizabeth's eyes were filed with anger at the thought of Barbossa leaving her friend to die as well.

"No, no... I came by myself. He would never do that." Seeing Elizabeth's questioning look, she decided to confess. "Lizzie, Barbossa is... He's my father."

Her jaw hanged open in shock; that explained many things about her: All the things she knew about pirates, all the places in the world that she had been to, everything she didn't want to say about her past. Suddenly, everything made sense. Deep down, she had always suspected this, but never said anything. After a second, she hugged her friend tightly.

"Narissa, you could have told me before about this," Elizabeth assured her, to which she simply shook her head in disagreement. Her past was only hers, it was her burden to bear, not her friend's.

Listening to the women's conversation, Jack finished his work with his pistol. Elizabeth turned to him and said angrily "If you're going to shoot me, please, do so without delay."

Sighing, Jack asked "Is there a problem between us, Miss Swann?", narrowing his eyes.

"You were going to tell Barbossa about Will in exchange for a ship!" she replied with even more venom in her voice,looking down at him disgustingly.

Narissa groaned and told her. "He wasn't going to sell William, Lizzie. Everything was planned out."

The pirate continued "Exactly! Because as long as he didn't know about bloody Will, I had something to bargain with, which now no one has, thanks to bloody stupid Will." Elizabeth stayed silent, a simple oh leaving her mouth. "Oh!" he mocked her. Keeping his pistol under the scarf that was now wrapped arund his waist, he headed inland; Elizabeth followed him, trying to convince him to find a way to get out.

Narissa decided to stay by the beach, tired of all the yelling. She layed back with a sigh and closed her eyes, letting the Caribbean sun dry her body and clothes, being very careful that her wounded hands wouldn't get dirty. The white sand was soft under her feet, the salty air filled her nostrils, making her drift off.

Minutes later, the couple came back, still arguing. Narissa opened her eyes and sat up, turning her head to look at them. The pirate held two bottles of rum in his hands, Elizabeth had another one. A frown rested between the woman's eyebrows, where did he get that alcohol from? Jack sat down next to Narissa again, while the noble woman stood in front of them.

"So! Is there any truth to the other stories?" Elizabeth asked, making Narissa arc an eyebrow and sit back up. What had they been talking about? Possibly, about the way he had escaped the island years ago; she must have discovered his story was a lie.

"Truth?" Jack said with a serious low voice. He rolled up his sleeves, showing his scars and the pirate brand, and then, the bullet wound on his chest. Narissa stared sadly at them. "No truth at all," he concluded while Narissa rested a comforting hand on his shoulder. "We'll stay alive a month, maybe more. Keep a weather eye open for passing ships, and our chances are fair." He drank from the rum bottle after pronouncing this words, even he didn't believe himself. Jack offered the bottle to Narissa. She accepted it and took a long gulp. "Give me your hands," he told her.

She obeyed and he held her hands softly, slowly caressing the skin with his thumbs. Elizabeth stood perplexed at seeing the nasty pirate treating her friend so gently. Jack poured some rum on her wounds, causing her to hiss slightly as the alcohol stung on her skin. Some golden drops fell on the sand between them.