Chapter 7 The Truth Comes Through

Start from the beginning

“I'll do it.” He says with a confident nod. “I’ve kinda missed Brady,” he admits, “I'll go get him ready.”

Anthony brushes Honeybunny and Austin helps him reach the spots he’s too small to reach. “Why don’t you get Honeybunny’s bridle?” Austin suggests to Anthony, “I'll go get her saddle.” Anthony speeds off down the aisle to the tack room wing where we keep the horse bridles and Austin heads off to the saddle room.

“I’ve taught Reeds little brother for five months now. Reed finished his lessons a year and a half ago.” I explain to Jason, “I’ve been riding for so long. I don’t’ even remember when I started. I think I was riding before I was acting. My uncle and father both owned ranches. We don’t have a street address. If you mail us, you send it to Ridgewater Ranch, Pineview, CA 75842” Anthony and Reed walk out and month their riding horses. “Take them into the practice rink.” The boys nod and head over to the rink. Austin comes out moments later with a saddled grey horse. “You’re riding?” I ask. “It’s not really your type of horse you’re not a beginning rider.”

“I know. She’s not for me. He’s riding.” Austin hands Liberty’s reins to Jason. “You have the best teacher in the country teaching you.” Jason takes the reins and stares at the horse. “I'll watch and help Reed and Anthony.”

“I’m taking him to the training field.” I answer. “Come get us in an hour would you?”

“You got it.” He says, grabbing a training rope from the door and tossing it to me. He heads toward the practice rink. I latch the rope to Liberty’s bridle and lead my newest pupil to the training field.

“Riding isn’t really all that hard” I begin going through my routine story, “It’s just a matter of proper communication with your horse.”

“Chels,” Jason starts, “Stick to the basics, or I won’t be able to keep up. Just tell me how to get on. How to go. How to stop. How to turn. How to get off, and stuff like that. The other stuff, while it must be important is going to be lost on me.”

“To mount or get on a horse take the reins in your left hand, place your left foot in the left stirrup like this.” I demonstrate what he’s supposed to do, “Put your right hand on the saddle like this,” I continue to demonstrate everything placing my hand in the center of the saddle, “you continue by placing your left hand still gripping the reins on the saddle horn.” I show him, “Finally, you pull yourself into the saddle with a little jump using your arms and foot that’s in the stirrup. Swinging your right foot over the saddle and placing it into the right stirrup.” I follow through the rest of the mounting. I dismount and get him to try it. He nails it.

“Okay, now what?” he asks I keep a firm grip on the training rope.

“Okay, so the reins go in both hands, with a bit of slack between them. Arms shoulder-width apart and relaxed bent at the elbows.” I explain correcting his posture and hand positioning. Finally, we can work on his control over Liberty. He finally gets it and he’s doing great.

“Chels,” Austin’s voice carries and I hear it before I see him, “Hours up.” He walks up to the fence and sits on the top bar next to me. “How’d he do?”

“Pretty well.” I answer, “You’re up next.” I tease with a smile as Jason rides Liberty over.

“Mountain and Winter?” he asks knowing exactly what I meant. I nod, “Jase, I'll take your horse back you can go back to the house.”

“Thanks man.” Jason says still on the horse, “Now do you want to tell me how to get off.”

“Dismount is the exact same as mounting in reverse.” Austin says, “Reins in the left hand, swinging your right leg over until your foot hits the ground.”

“Austin!” I laugh, “Jason, there’s a lot of truth in what he’s saying. Why don’t you try it? Austin will catch you if you fall.” Jason tries to figure out how to get off, Austin waiting ready to dive if Jason falls. Jason finally gets both feet back on the ground. “I'll see you back at the house.” Jason waves and we go our separate ways. Austin and I head to the stable to cool Liberty down, and warm up Mountain and Winter. Both of them are mustangs. A brown one and a white one. They’re still in training. Austin and I have been training them since we found the wild in the woods just outside the ranch only a few weeks ago. They’ve both reached the point where you can ride them. Now it’s time to teach them to do different types of jumps, tricks, and other stunts; they’ll make great trick riding horses. David will love them. Austin and I silently ride to warm up the mustangs we work on jumps and barrels before settling in for a silent calm walk for the horses.

“Chels, they’ll figure it out.” Austin says, meaning the cops will arrest whoever threatened me back in Hollywood. He always knows what’s bothering me.

“What reasons do we have it was only one person?” I ask him turning to face him.

“You think it was a team effort?” he asks turning to me.

“Why not?” I ask, “If you read the letters carefully then you’ll notice the way the writer’s voice changes within the letters. The writing style is different between the letters.”

“Isn’t there a possibility that it just happens?” Austin asks slowing down to a stop, I follow suit.

“Every writer I’ve read. Every script, book, article, review, story, or poem by any one author has the same writing style as his or her other works. It’s hard to notice it if you’re not looking, but doing a lot of reading for my former career helped me notice the little details sooner.”