Prologue

'Gom' 'Gom.............Gom' the Great Ikoro sounded.

The only instrument that is heard in all corners of the village and even beyond. It is beaten by no one, but the gods themselves whenever an important message is being passed to their mouth piece, the chief priest of Umunne.

Within minutes, the village square located at the center of the village, was filled with people; both young, old, sick and healthy, for only evil men will avoid such summons from the gods. Woe betides those who ignore this call; they are perpetually doomed, for it is better to ignore the call of the most powerful kings combined than to ignore that of the Great Ikoro.

The villages waited in anticipation for the news that the gods has sent to them. From a distance the sound of the tiny pieces of metal his staff as they hit against one another into the ground was heard.

And as he drew nearer the sound increased also with the incantations he kept on chanting as he left the shrine.

                                                         Okuko ne je ebe dibia,

                                                         Ochoro gini.....................

                                                         Ochoro onwu...................

                                                         Ekere riweri koro ogodo ikere buru ya

                                                         Hayaya ohohhhhh..............................

And as he drew nearer the sound increased also with the incantations he kept on chanting as he left the shrine. Once he came into sight, little children ran to the safety of their mother's wrapper. But he didn't seem to notice as he ran towards different directions, scaring the already frightened children, making them scream in fright. The dibia continued moving in fast motions, dancing to a song only he seems to be hearing, raising a thick cloud of dust in the process.

After a while he stopped abruptly and started speaking to the villagers.

'Great people of Umunne, descendants of the mother Nne, I greet you' he started 'you are all aware that the gods have a very important message for us and that is why we are here. And so i will not beat around the bush, but rather hit the nail on the head'. After a pause, he continued 'a girl from the lowliest of the lowly will rise and lead the both kingdoms of Igboukwu and Arochukwu and she will work according to the will of the gods...........'

'But that is impossible' a man said and many people nodded in agreement

The chief priest looked squarely at the man, who squirmed under his gaze and said

'You people of Umunne, your audacity will be your doom. The gods have spoken'. And with that he left just as he had come.

Years passed, nothing happened and people began to doubt the gods. Many even forgot the prophecy. But the gods are never wrong

Please support me by writing your comment. Also don't forget to vote

Thanks.