Land ho!

Slumped despondent against a weather deck rail, Yan looked out over a desolate grey ocean that surged in a restive tumult.

A cold forsaken wilderness where albatross drift, lost through cumulonimbus skies, exiled from the land to this solitary realm. A realm of soulful introspection.

Yet a contemplative young wizard will find no peace here. Neither in his mind or in the apparent isolation of this barren domain.

"Having reservations" uttered a voice from behind him. Stirring him from his sullen reflection.

Yan turned to find Demir standing there puffing blissfully on a clay pipe.

"Oh no, I just needed to get some fresh air" Yan replied with an mien of insincerity.

"Your mendacity requires a little more practice my friend" chuckled the agile goblin leaping up high onto the rail beside him.

"I smell something in the air, something untoward and I'm not referring to the tobacco in my pipe" he chuckled.

"I have no idea what you are talking about?" Replied Yan peevishly.

"I could see you were aggrieved by the actions of Doowun's in the mess and I understand that you maybe feeling somewhat ambiguous about the company you keep, after all its only natural.

You are an honourable young man Mr Yan which is admirable but it can prove a hinderance in our line of business"

"A hinderance?" Replied Yan bemused..

"Morality is all very well in its place but you have to be made of sterner stuff to survive in this dog eat dog world" he grinned.

"Please don't patronise me with your priggery Demir. I may be young but I'm by no means naïve. I have experienced more than you think and I'm pretty resilient too. The values I hold are an intrinsic part of me and I will not change them for anyone.

Now if you don mind I would like to be left alone!" Snapped Yan.

The little goblin reached into his waistcoat pocket and pulled out two cold sovereigns.

"These are for you" he said, holding out his hand..

Yan looked at him blankly and shook his head.

"Really?" He said with a frown. "Do you really think I would want to have anything to do with this money after what I just said?"

Demir returned the coins to his pocket, then leapt down from the rail.

"Oh well!" He said "One man's loss is another man's gain" and made his way merrily back down towards the galley.

Stopping at the top of the ladder he turned around and looked at the young wizard gazing out to sea..

"If you think the Gewinnan conducts its business for the welfare of others rather than for itself then you are going to be sorely disappointed my friend!" Retorted the little goblin before descending below deck.

Down in the galley Demir was met in the doorway by Casusas.

"Where is our young wizard?" She asked. "Is he not joining us?"

"No, he is feeling somewhat doleful at the moment" he quipped.

"What's that you say Demir?" Piped Athel curiously.

"I was telling Casusas about young Mr Yan ruminating pensively up on deck. I believe he is still slightly troubled by Doowun's earlier conduct" replied the goblin whilst wryly winking at Doowun.