Mrs Gren continued, "At break-time, you can give the bouquets to somebody you really like. But in this lesson, I'm going to choose a partner for you to work on bouquets with."

I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best. Mrs Gren's eyes darted round the classroom, then she looked like she had made her decision. "Luke Triton and Melanie Crosby, Katy Altava and Clive Dove, Flora Reinhold and Clara Ashton, Tyler Brown and..." 

My face dropped. Clive walked over to our desk as Luke walked away. I saw him take a meaningful glance at me before the torture started. Melanie was instantly flirting with Luke, and he had to put up with it. She looked at me and smirked countless times at my uncomfort.

"Katy, Katy, snap out of it!" Clive said trying to get my attention.

"Sorry Clove," I said absent-mindedly.

"It's Clive," Clive replied.

All through science I worked on my bouquet at my hardest, inserting all of the best flowers. Then I wrote a little message.

Dear Luke,

You have been a great friend to me and I love hanging out with you. But even if we are just friends, I want you to have a better girlfriend than that Melanie. Don't let her flirt with you and get away with it. Remember, I'm always here to stick up for you, Gentleman in training.

Love your friend,

Katy.

Clive was also working hard on a bouquet for Flora. "Clive, do you have a crush on Flora?" I asked.

"Yeah..." Clive said, looking down at his feet.

I smiled and helped him finish off his bouquet, then the bell rang. I rushed over to Luke, who was trying to get away from Melanie. As soon as he saw me, he perked up.

"Katy! We're going to meet Flora and Clive aren't we? Let's go!" He said hurriedly. Then we ran off, leaving Melanie alone in our dust.

When we were walking over, I gave Luke my bouquet to him, blushing. After reading my message, he hugged me. "Thanks Katy," he said. 

"You're welcome Luke." I replied.

"Melanie took my bouquet and won't give it back," Luke said quietly.

"Well, at lunch time, I'll have a word with Melanie, I told you Luke, I'm always here to stick up for you." I replied.

When we got to Flora and Clive, they were holding hands!

"What happened guys?" I asked.

"We got together!" They said in unison. I laughed as we all started talking about the things we could do together in the summer holidays.

******************************************

Right before lunch, I saw that Melanie was showing her bouquet from "Luke" off, so I went over to her.

"Hey Melanie. Are you happy with yourself now? You stole a bouquet that wasn't even for you, so you could declare you're a saddo with fake love." I said to her face.

Before she could reply, I walked away. Then the bell rang.

I walked to  the lunch hall with Flora and Clive, but I couldn't seem to find Luke. I went outside only to find Melanie kissing him! And I knew he didn't like it.

"Melanie! You get off Luke right now you witch!" I yelled running towards her.

"Or what? Princess." She replied. People started laughing at me, but it wasn't about me anymore. Melanie had started kissing Luke again, but his hat was falling off. That never happened. Which meant that Luke was losing himself. 

That was the last straw. I ran up to Melanie, then did a swift tackle making her land on the ground.

"I didn't take years of karate classes for nothing you know." I said to her, then I started fighting with her. She fought back, but her moves didn't hurt and I was able to stop her. Then Melanie started complaining. "My neck's all bruised."

"Ugh, just get yourself antiseptic or something," I said to her.

But then she started crying out. I was so annoyed that I went to help her. I held her neck lightly and started brushing it, but then she sounded like she was chocking.

"Melanie!" I yelled. But then the Principal stormed over. 

"Katy Altava! How dare you strangle students on school ground! Both of you to my office, NOW. Katy, I'm going to have to talk to Professor Layton about this, and I tell you, he won't be happy." The Principal then dragged a triumphant Melanie and a confused me to his office.

Then I realized what she had done.