Chapter 29: The End of the War

Start from the beginning

She was a little old woman who lived alone, of course, they underestimated the woman. They had sent Dawlish, of all people, to retrieve the woman. She nearly killed the man as she escaped. She was on the run now and Dawlish was still in St. Mungo's. She had written Neville that she was fine and that she was proud of him.

After that, Neville knew he would need to go into hiding as well. The Carrows wouldn't care about much Pureblood they spilled, as long as they received the respect and obedience they desired.

But Neville didn't care. As he had told Seamus repeatedly, Harry would come back. He would return to Hogwarts and rid the school of the Carrows like he and Hermione had done with Umbridge. It was only a matter of time. While he waited for Harry's return, he would do all he could to help the D.A.

And that meant hiding. He wouldn't be helpful if the Carrows tortured him and maybe inevitability kill him. No, he had to be somewhere close by, but also somewhere that the Carrows would never find him.

He was thinking about this as he walked by the corridor of the Room of Requirements. He frowned as he stared at the wall. Perhaps, he could stay in the room, it would give him a place nearby to help with the students. He wanted to find a way in and out of the school, though. He needed to, just in case something might happen.

He took a deep breath and walked into the room. The D.A. would be arriving soon, perhaps Seamus and Michael would know what to do.

Potterwatch was on that night. And with an interesting surprise. Lee Jordan started with his usual monologue which included a greeting to all those listening and a moment of silence for those who had died in the past week. On the bright side, Dean Thomas had been found, as he had said.

But in the stead of Kingsley Shacklebolt's discussion about the treatment of Muggles and Muggle-borns, Lee had a special guest on the show. It was Harry Potter himself! Harry didn't sound particularly thrilled to be on the wireless, like he was worried he would be putting everyone in danger.

"Now, Harry," Lee said, "what have you been doing since You-Know-Who took the Ministry of Magic?" Harry hesitated a moment before answering him.

"I have been in hiding. We've been looking for a way to defeat Vol-You-Know-Who as soon as possible. We're getting closer now."

"Months ago, it was reported that you and those traveling with you had infiltrated the Ministry of Magic. What were you doing there?" Lee inquired.

"There was something there that we needed," Harry stated. "Reckon we created a bigger scene than we meant to, but we were able to help some Muggle-borns escape, so that we good."

"Harry sounds nervous," Seamus commented laughing. "Never get used to the attention, will he?"

"Many Muggle-born families were saved because of you, an example we should all remember when encountering them," Lee continued.

"Most recently," said Fred, "we have heard report that you were held captive in Malfoy Manor." There was a collective groan at Malfoy's name. He hadn't returned from Easter break and no one knew why. Ginny hadn't returned either, but she had sent along a letter telling Neville she was alright.

"Yes," Harry admitted, "it was only by the help of Draco Malfoy that we were able to escape with a few others being held in the cellar."

Even Lee seemed to have grown speechless. No one said anything. Really, they were all too stunned to say anything. Draco Malfoy had helped Harry Potter of all people? "W-well," Lee finally recovered, Neville was almost certain that he could hear Fred and George Weasley laughing in the background. "I think I can speak for many people when I say that we're glad you managed to escape. One final question, Harry, if there's anything you could tell everyone listening right now, what would it be?"