Chapter 13: Meeting at Hog's Head

"You like Granger," George said. It was a statement, not a question. George knew Fred liked Hermione Granger, there was no doubt in his mind.

"Why would you think that?" asked Fred, as they walked down the corridors of Hogwarts. He kept glancing around, certain that someone was going to hear their conversation.

"I figured it out this morning at breakfast, when she was droning on about how to transform a desk into a dresser and you were on the edge of your seat the whole time."

"That could valuable information for a...product," Fred said. But whatever he said would not dissuade George's suspicions. George rolled his eyes at his brother's words.

"Right. Merlin, Fred, you were watching her like her words were pure gold. And unlike Ron and Harry, I notice things. You like Granger." Fred shrugged.

"So, what if I do?" George shook his head.

"What about Ron? How does he feel about her? You know Mum has always been secretly hoping they'd end up together."

"Ron's too much of a prat to notice what is right in front of him. Luckily, I happen to appreciate great things," said Fred. George just sighed.

"So, what are you going to do about this crush of yours?"

"Don't worry, Forge, I have a plan." With that, Fred turned and walked into an empty classroom.

"Dramatic git," George murmured before following him.

-----

Hermione Granger had quite enough of that vile woman. Harry's hand was completely scarred, she had threatened Mr. Weasley's job, and she utterly missed the purpose of education. She was so tired of sitting in class and reading a textbook she had already read before the start of the term.

But of everything Umbridge did, Hermione couldn't stand the inspections. Umbridge would arrive during the valuable learning time, interrupt, and expect the professors to adhere to her every desire. The woman was evil. Sure, Trelawney was an old fraud, but that didn't give Umbridge the right to be horrendously rude to the woman.

Hermione had a sneaking suspicion that Umbridge was worse than Voldemort ever could be.

"Wands away," Umbridge instructed them that day all smiling at the class. "As we finished chapter one last lesson, I would like you all to turn to page nineteen today and commence chapter two, 'Common Defensive Theories and Their Derivation.' There will be no need to talk."

She sat down at her desk as the students, sighing, turned in their books to page nineteen. Immediately, Hermione raised her hand. Umbridge noticed, and seemed to be warring with herself over whether or not she should call on Hermione. Eventually, the rest of the class began to notice Hermione's hand stuck in the air. Finally, when it was clear the class wouldn't read the text until Hermione asked her question, Umbridge said, "What is it this time, Miss Granger?"

"I've already read chapter two," Hermione informed her.

"Well then, proceed to chapter three."

"I've read that, too. I've read the whole book." Umbridge was taken aback. No other student in the entire school, including the Ravenclaws, had read so far ahead. Quickly, Umbridge regained her poise.

"Well, then, you should be able to tell me what Slinkhard says about counter jinxes in chapter fifteen."

"He says that counter jinxes are improperly named," Hermione said promptly. "He says 'counter jinxes' is just a name people give their jinxes when they want to make them sound more acceptable." Umbridge raised her eyebrows, impressed against her will. "But I disagree."