“Girls, you should know this.” A gym co-coordinator called us into Dimitri’s office and we hesitated up stairs.

“Read it.” he tossed an envelope on the desk. Roo picked it up and tore the seal apart, but not before everyone noticing the USAG emblem on it. She read it aloud for all of us to hear.

“It’s from the USAG’s top authorities, for Dimitri.” We exchanged confused and curious glances at each other, and Lauren cleared her throat before reading the contents.

“It is our painful duty to inform you that you are no longer permitted to coach or practice gymnastics in the United Stated of America.

“The restriction is the result of your negligence towards the health and welfare of gymnasts –one in particular- training under you, and may lead to dangerous effects. Violation of the code of ethics and conduct has made the USAG take this harsh decision. Our decision is final and irrevocable.

“We wish you good luck for your future endeavors.”

Roo tore the letter apart, but it couldn’t change a thing. It didn’t take a genius to figure out who the ‘particular’ gymnast was. And now, second time in the year we had lost a brilliant coach, this time thanks to me. Why in the world did USAG have to intervene in between? I was doing perfectly fine, everyone was doing perfectly fine with him here.

“Perfect.” Kay mumbled and barged out the door. I stood there dumb founded and Roo fuming with fury.

“They can’t do this!” she yelled and I looked up at her.

“But they did.” I stated and she kicked the table hard. They had to fuck everything up when it was getting almost fine. I was getting back my basic skills, I was getting back the poise, the grace the strength of an elite gymnast. But they just had to screw with our lives all over again.

“So we don’t have a coach now? Just before the competition season?” Lauren asked glaring down at the man in his mid forties. Short and bald, he was never the leader types in the gym but had amazing management capabilities. But right now, I hated him; I hated everyone because we couldn’t stop Dimitri from being restricted to coach us. We couldn’t stop him from leaving, from everything going back to square one.

“Of course we do.” He replied and pointed at a car that had come to a halt in the parking lot visible from the tinted window.

“A new coach? So soon?” I asked and he shrugged,

“The USAG won’t let three elites train without a coach, right?” he went down the stairs and Lauren mumbled under her breath.

“Of course they wouldn’t. Since they love us so much.” The sarcasm in her voice was evident, and I couldn’t help but smile at her. We made our way down to see who exactly our new coach was.

“Are they…Mason?!” Lauren looked at him with disgust and I raised a brow at her. The new guy, named Mason according to Roo, was nothing compared to Dimitri. He was fat and old and looked so out of it. I was used to old coaches, old coaches who were excellent in making elites. But what I hated the most about this guy was that something seemed amiss. The passion for the sport was missing, all I could see was the heedless attitude radiating off his pale face.

“Everyone, attention. Mason here is the new coach in the gym, after Dimitri had to leave due to some personal issues. I’ll let him take over from here.” The coordinator introduced Mason and he scrutinized the entire gym. Personal issues, are you kidding me? We all knew he loved being here, training the next big name of the gymnastics world, making history, shaping history. He would never leave no choice.

“One, do not call me Mason. I am your coach, not friend. Two, I do not intend to follow your old coach’s path and let you all go down the hill. Trust me, my gym, my rules. Three, back to work.”

After a while, the tension in the air eased down. I went to the treadmills and Roo hit the cycle besides me. He went upstairs and settled down as everyone got back to normal. Just about an hour later two little girls giggled as a level four gymnast told them an incident. Out of nowhere, Mason charged down the stairs and yelled at them.

“What did I say about being serious?” the girls flinched and their nonchalant giggle came to an abrupt stop.

“Sorry.” One of them hesitated and he ordered them to separate.

“Bloody idiots.” He mumbled and we heard him loud and clear.

“Hey,” I couldn’t stop myself from protesting, “Sorry if I’m being rude, but you can’t cuss around here.”

“Didn’t you hear me when I said my gym, my rules?” he came closer to me and I could see Roo get off the cycle to support me.

“So following your rules, bloody you, coach.” She spat at him and his nostrils flared.

“Watch it there. I have read all about you, you two are basically the reason your poor Dimitri was banned. And I will not tolerate your nonsense here.” He warned and the entire gym was our audience now.

“We don’t want to cause a fight here.” I tried to make peace with the new guy.

“And I don’t want you thinking that you being elites gives you the right to wag your tongues around.”

“We never take advantage of the fact that we’re elites!” Roo countered being the fighter she was.

“Of, then you think being rich is what gives you girls the right to argue with your coach?” disgust was written all over his face and I was trying hard not to kick him at home and teach him a lesson. No coach could ever talk to anyone like that. They didn’t have the right to, and it was just low.  

“No, we said so because you cannot abuse level four girls. There are different ways to handle them.” I kept my calm.

“Like your old coach handled you?”

“He did nothing but coach us so we could get great rank in the nationals.” Roo agreed with me as Kay watched from a corner.

“He did nothing but ruin you.” He barked and left the place without any other word. The little girls mouthed us thanks with pitiful eyes and I half heartedly smiled at them. Poor them, how could anyone train with such Hitler of a coach? The positive environment around needed to be maintained, or else it won’t be long till everyone opted out or burned out.

“Who is this Mason?” I asked Roo as she got into her car.

“He was a coach at my cousin’s gym. And he was accused of harassment before being kicked out of the gym. The USAG found him not guilty just recently and now here he is, ruining our lives.”

“Lovely.” I exhaled sharply as we saw him drive off rashly without bothering to check speed limits and honk.

“Sometime I think our lives are more dramatic than the ‘make it or break it’ girls.” She let her hair fall and I chuckled. Seriously, they could produce a super hit reality show by just following us around.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ohhhh....what happens to Olympics now?!

COMMENT, VOTE and FAN!!!!