Chapter 1

Life is all about adjusting and sacrificing. The hard decisions we make affect those around obviously being governed by love. Love controls all; it's like a greater of us. It's spectacular, the things love does. It makes us sacrifice our own happiness just to save those we love and have them keep smiling...

I rolled over my bed while tugging the blankets closer to my body. My eyes fluttered open for a bit and I saw my alarm clock written 07:32. I rubbed my eyelids and looked more closely and it was still 7:32. Remembering the court case I had with Matt I jumped out of bed along with my blankets almost tripping in the process but I managed to steady myself. After stripping whilst running I hopped into the shower not minding the coldness of the water as it cascaded down my body.

After a quick shower I then grabbed a black dress, red blazer, and a pair of black heels from my closet. I applied light makeup, combed my hair and wore some accessories.

Having completed getting ready, I grabbed my purse and car keys and drove away from my apartment and sped off to the court where I was met by an angry looking Matt.

"Am I late?" I questioned tucking a strand of my dark brown hair behind my ear.

Matt's silence answered my question as he and the client strode into the court room leaving me even more hurt than I was supposed to be.

***

"Matt! Matt!" I called to him as he walked to his car.

I needed to talk to him about everything but he was giving me such a hard time. Yes I'd messed up but I needed a chance to explain myself.

"What do you want Lola?" he questioned quickly his tone as cold as ice.

"Matt we need to talk," I cried following him to his car. To anyone who was witnessing this they probably thought I was a love sick puppy.

"Talk," he stated more coldly while getting into his car. Scoffing to cover up my hurt I made my way to the other side of the car and got in.

"Well?" he asked starting his car so that he would drive off and I gulped not knowing where exactly to start.

"I didn't break off the engagement because I wanted to, something happened," I explained but his attention was on the road.

Turning to face him I then decided to tell him about contract. He acted neutral throughout the whole conversion and even after.

"Matt!" I yelled wanting him to snap out of it and he stopped driving.

"Lola!" he also yelled mimicking my tone which made me scoff and roll my eyes. This guy was going to be the death of me.

"I'm sorry," I told him while looking at him and he just stared at me blankly.

"I can't forgive you for breaking my heart. What do you want from me? You already have a new fiancé so don't waste your time talking to me," he responded while parking in the office parking lot. My car was already there as I had asked one of the interns at our firm to bring it for me.

I sighed and got out of the car and stopped by a café to order a burger, fries and milkshake. I walked to my office with my heels making a clicking sound on the tiled floor causing everyone in the quiet building to look up at me. Ignoring the stares I quickly made my way to my office and I started on my other cases while digging into my food but was interrupted by the phone which was ringing and I debated on whether to answer it or not but when it continued ringing I decided to answer it.

"Hello Moira, how may I help you?" I said feeling annoyed while taking a fry.

"It's Mrs. Henstridge, she wants to see you," Moira replied and sighing I told her to let her in despite not wanting to see her.