Chapter 4

Her next class was History, and Rebecca was only glad to see that the very back row of the class was empty. Some students glanced her way as she made her way to the corner table, just next to the window. She received a few smiles from the girls and noticed the appraising looks thrown her way by the boys.

One vampire. She noted as her eyes met the guy who was sitting three rows in front of her. For a second she wondered how old he really was. Vampires aged slower than humans. They usually lived up to 300 years. The oldest vampire ever recorded in the ancient scrolls lived up to 540 years.

She was staring out the window, watching at the dense forest just a distance away from her new school with longing when she felt it. She felt like she was being watched. Only, it made her skin burn with electricity instead of danger.

Instinct made her turn her head and her eyes immediately connected with a pair of brown orbs, speckles of green making them look much brighter than they actually were.

She sat ramrod straight and he looked away, and she wondered why she felt hurt as he did so. He walked to his seat at the very front row and his friend sat beside him, glancing back in her direction before exchanging a few words with him.

She knew they were werewolves. What she couldn't understand was why she was so curious about him, and the pull that she was feeling right then. She wanted to be closer, and her eyes kept darting in his direction when he didn't even spare her a glance. She felt ashamed of herself, especially as a shapeshiftress. To be attracted to a werewolf. She covered her eyes with her hands in dismay.

The teacher, Mrs Hopper was a short woman with a brilliant smile on her face. She informed the class that they have a new classmate and told her to introduce herself at the front of the classroom.

She was sure that her cheeks were tinged pink the whole time she was doing the introduction, hoping against hope that her tan skin would at least provide some cover to not give it away. She could feel his gaze trailing down her body, making her skin tingle. The teacher had to make it worse for her when she kept asking her questions about her previous school and what she's hoping to contribute to Riverton High. She could feel his eyes on her the whole time.

All throughout the lesson, she wished that the time would go faster, trying hard to make sure that her eyes won't betray her and stray in his direction.

At the end of the lesson, Mrs Hopper made her and a few students, including him, to stay for awhile as the rest of the class filed out of the room. The four of them went to the front of the class and he stood directly beside her, his arm brushing against hers and sent a jolt throughout her body. She unconsciously took a step closer towards him, and his scent filled her nose, making her feel giddy inside.

Mrs Hopper regarded the two of them for a moment before speaking. "As you all know, the principal Madam Rootsworth has kept this school in peace and harmony for a hundred years, even with the growing number of each kind in this school."

She smiled at Rebecca before nodding towards the vampire guy she had seen earlier. "This is Bellamy Vaughn, a vampire. And," she pointed towards the two werewolves, "Dexter and Rodrigo, werewolves which I think you can already guess."

Dexter remained quiet beside her while his friend looked at her with a fake smile and a sliver of hate in his eyes. Mrs Hopper clapped her hands and smiled brightly, saying "I hope you guys can get along or at the very least be civil towards each other if you don't want to be expelled from this school." And with that she left the room, her shoes thudding loudly in the quiet room.