First Look

That evening was no way pleasant. The winds changed their course, turned chillier. A deadly calmness descended in already isolated place. She stood before him, fidgeting with her dupatta nervously, reflecting the state of her mind. He took one last puff of cigarette...closed his eyes savoring the taste of it. Last Puff ..Ahh.. heaven. The smoke made its way out. She waved a hand, turned face sidewards clearing the cloud of smoke. She hated smokers, but what an irony! she lost her heart and everything to one.

Wow! He threw his cigarette butt down and stamped it out and turned to face his object of attraction all these months.

" You almost scared me over the call. Relax sweetheart!" He patted her cheek lightly ."There's nothing to worry. We should have been more careful. But accidents do happen you know! Jis doctor ne confirm kiya, ask her to get rid of it." His said casually. Stunned, she tried to make sense of his words.

"You can't mean ..." Her words trembled as she grasped meaning behind his words. 'Abortion?'

A smirk was his answer.

"No! This ..this is wrong!" She cried in protest." I told you because....you...you need to talk to my maa, baba and we should get married, as soon as possible before this...this..." Shame took over her. Only if she didn't give in to his demands then. She struggled to find her words "before everyone gets to know ..we should." She held his hand and searched his eyes for some assurance.

"Whoa whoa! relax girl! He snatched his hand " If I go around marrying every girl whom I slept with... ab tak tho mera record hota, you know! Shaadi and all that ...not my style. We met, had fun, That's it. I don't like when girls turn clingy, emotional and start acting like sati savitri and all. So I guess, We are done ." 

She turned pale as white as chalk. Tears pooled in her eyes. Is this the same guy who vowed to love her for a lifetime, showered her with promises of commitment? This can't be him .. who didn't care a bit about her and little life within her and was leaving ...her midway in chaos.

"You can't do this to me," she said loud enough for him to hear. Tears spilled out her eyes as she held his hand with her trembling ones, " You promised me. I will be ruined. Please...I," Her voice quivered, " I love you and you said you love me too and this," She placed a hand gently on the stomach, "It is ours... ye Hamara."

Enough! She stumbled backward at the force of his words.

"I said I am done with you. So stop all this drama. Mujhe pehle hi sochna chahiye tha.Girls like you are a nuisance,lekin mujhe laga, let me try a different one this time. Meek, timid and sanskari kinds ..but I was wrong " He shook his head, "Let me make it clear for once and all, "We are over, Ragini..."

And he walked off without a second glance.

Her entire being shook as her world fell apart at that moment. Ragini sank down slowly onto the floor, her whole life turned upside down. He never loved her..never and she was a fool. A fool to trust him, love him with all her life, with her everything but for him, she had been a shiny new toy to play with and then tossed off, mercilessly.

He loved her.No, he didn't. He did. No. He did. Didn't

No ! Ragini clutched her spinning head at the attack of voices from within screaming at her. His every word was like a blow like someone knocked every wisp of air from her lungs and left her to die. She slowly raised her head looked at his leaving form, a blurry image midst tears. How could he? How could ...

"Sanskaar ..." She screamed with all her life but her voice never reached him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------