Chapter 4: So We Meet Again

Start from the beginning

'So," he commented casually leaning over the table to look closer in my eyes " a girl pretty as you must have all the boys chasing after her."

"Of course not, you crazy." I hurled back at him, it came off a little defensive. He took his arms off the table and leaned back to sit up straight. "Sorry, I'm just not used to hearing that kind of thing. I'm a little undervalued in my family, to say the least."

"No, it's fine. I was just wondered."

"I've heard that's what they all say. But I wouldn't know." 

"Mind taking a walk along the beach?" he started to get up off the park bench.

"No problem" I said hesitantly, he had no idea how much I disliked the beach. How much safer I felt at GroveWay. 

The only reason I felt safer there was because of my father. Back before mom had the twins, she was the one working. My father was a stay- at- home dad and was always looking for ways to spend time with Miriam and me. Almost everyday we would come to this park and walk trail numero six. It was just him and me. Not even Miriam would tag along. My father and I would spend hours under the shade of these trees. Of course once mom got pregnant once again, she stopped working. Once she found out they were twins she knew she wouldn't be able to go back to work any time soon. My dad had to find a job and that's where the memories stop with him.

After about three miles my legs ached, but I wouldn't let him know that. We we're finally at the beach! My sneakers looked out of place against the white sand so I slipped them off and threw them off to the side against a large rock.

Travis did most of the talking. I was still sour about leaving my safe haven. 

"You have Mr.Greggor then?" he questioned while we slowly made our way over to the lapping, cool waters. My feet were relived to be off the hot sand. 

"Mhmm"

"That dude need a haircut! I'm just glad he's not a lunch lady..er.. lunch man?" he laughed while I smiled.

I really should be going. It was 4: 18. Wow. I had spent a long time with Travis. He was so gorgeous! No, I can't think like that. I can't make things awkward between us. I'd like to call this my first date but I'm pretty sure he doesn't feel that way. Oh goodness... I really hope I'm not falling for him. 

"I should be going, sorry."

"It's fine. Mind if I walk you home?"

Woah! He wants to walk me home, maybe he does feel a little something for me? 

"Yeah, if you don't mind walking about another four miles." I answered back, a hint of flirt in my tone. 

"Here's the house" I said four long miles later. 

"Looks nice" 

"Do you want to come in?" I had to ask because I think it'd be rude if I didn't. Right?

"Sure" he responded as I opened the front door. 

As soon as I saw my mom at the counter I realized I forgot grapes. Darn it. 

"Well hello Rose. OH! Who is this? You went out with your little boyfri-"

"No, mom!" I exclaimed, cutting her off. She really irritated me sometimes.

"I'm just too handsome to be your friend, Rose." Travis joined in on the conversation

"Ha, yeah.. no"  I snarled, but not in a mean way, more along the line of playful.

"At least let me know his name."

"It's Travis. Happy now?" My mom just smiled. Then a minute later walked back to her room.

"You can stay as long as you like" I told him. 

"I'd like that. I think I'll head home before dinner."

Travis did stay at my house till right before we ate dinner. It was honestly one of the best days I've had in a long time. We had watched an episode of Adventure TIme, played Uno with Lydia and Luci for about half an hour, and we'd talked most of the time. Miriam had peeked out from behind her door at one point. I wondered why she would choose to spy on us, but that didn't faze me. It was a wonderful, glorious day.

And as I was standing there on the porch with Travis, saying or goodbyes for the day and telling each other we'd see each other around at school he caught me in a hug so warm and cozy I hated to let him go. 

"See you at school, Rose!" He called over his shoulder as he walked away.

Remember how I said I hoped I wasn't falling for him? I was definitely falling and the great thing was, I think he was falling for me as well.