Chapter 1

MissCris: For all of you who asked for it, a short novella about Eddie and Jeremiah (cute couple, no?)

A/N: This story will be told in two parts. It's going to start right after Jer and Stephan return from the war and Stephan boots Jer to a hotel for his stunt (chapters 3 & 4 of IFFHB). Since it's a short story and will only have like 10 chapters the end of part one will be around chapter 5. If you've read IFFHB you know that Jer leaves at some point in the story so that will be the midpoint between both parts in this book.

I hope that makes sense, if not message me and I'll explain it. Enjoy!

BOOK TRAILER TO YOUR RIGHT ---->

Part 1 - Why do we fall in love so easy? Even when it's not right?

Chapter 1

~Eddie's POV~

When you lose the one person who makes your world turn, the one person who makes you feel like you're somebody in a sea of faces, how do you cope with that? Is it possible to ever let the pain in your heart go? Will it ever go away, whether you want it to or not?

I don't think so.

It's been almost two months since Simeon passed away and I can still feel the gaping hole in my chest. His laugh still rings in my ears and his beautiful green eyes still seem to bore into mine every time I close them. How can I get over him when he's in everything I do? Every place I go. Every thought of every minute of every day?

"Eduardo!"

I jump at the sound of my name, "Yea?" I call back.

The door leading to the kitchen in the hotel my parents own swings open and a big burly man about 5 feet 11 inches walks in. He's wearing khaki pants with a light blue polo shirt tucked into them and black loafers. His hair is combed back and looks as if it's still wet. The muscles he sports bulge in his shirt and seem to be even bigger because of this.

Nobody would guess this man was anything other than a business man. They wouldn't guess that beneath all the charade of civility is a man known for his strength and stubbornness. Nobody would guess that this man came from the slumps and that he created his fortune from illegal fights in unknown locations in the dead of night.

My father cleans up well.

"Eduardo, que haces?" Edward what are you doing? My father sounds irritated, he only speaks to me in Spanish when he's mad.

"Nothing, ma said to help in the kitchen. There's supposed to be a big crowd coming from North Carolina, porque? I ask trying not to sound like a little kid being yelled at.

"I need you to help Alec move furniture upstairs, not be in the kitchen doing women work. Go, I'll let your mother know" he orders.

Gritting my teeth I nod and put down the spoon that I had in my hand. My father doesn't know that I prefer the kitchen to moving furniture upstairs, he doesn't know a lot about me. I don't think I'll ever be able to tell him my deepest secret. He's made little secret of what he believes men should be like.

"Verdaderos hombres son fuertes y se casan con mujeres para tener una familia propia" Real men are strong and marry women so they can have their own families. "Los hombres son los que manda en las casas." Men are the one who dominate in the home. "Es el dever de los hombres proveer para su familia" It's a man's duty to provide for his family.

I agreed with a lot of what my father said, and I even understood why he believed the things I didn't agree with. He grew up in a time when men had to marry early and work all day to bring food onto the table. I know all the stories of how he grew up without a father and how that affected his childhood, especially in a country like El Salvador. But that doesn't mean I accept his dictate that I marry and form a family.