VI - Control

"I sat alone, in bed till the morning

I'm crying, "They're coming for me"

And I tried to hold these secrets inside me

My mind's like a deadly disease"

  •  

"Why do you think this is necessary, Nance?" Rosemary sighed, falling back onto her bed. She was in a phone call with Nancy and Barb, and could already smell her foster mothers cooking as dinner neared being ready.

"Because I don't want to go by myself." Nancy said in explanation. She'd been trying to convince Rosemary and Barb to join to join her to Steves 'party', and Rosemary was adamant on not going. She knew Barb would most likely give in, but she'd be ready to have Barb rant to her Wednesday because Nancy ditched her in favour of Steve or something or the other.

It wasn't even that Rosemary wasn't allowed out. Her foster mother knew full well that Rosemary could defend herself. Danger walking, she had called her once. It was after Rosemary got in a fight with a girl at school - she came out with a busted lip, but the girl was so much worse. She claimed to have claw marks on her arms, but nobody believed it was from Rosemary. Don't mess with my baby hell on earth, Susanita had smoothed down Rosemarys hair and given her a kiss on the forehead. She had never gotten grounded for the incident. After all, she had only been defending Nancy because somebody had insulted her brains. It just escalated a lot more than it was meant to.

"Barb... Barb, it's not rocket science. You just tell your parents you're gunna stay at my place afterwards."

"ROSEMARY! DINNER!"

"I've got to go, have fun at the party." She said quickly before hanging up on them, leaving Nancy to continue to convince Barb to join her. She just hoped it wouldn't be too much of a burden on Barb, and that she wouldn't get in trouble if they got found out. She sighed and pushed herself back up off the bed, quickly making her way downstairs.

"You were on the phone for a while there. Everything okay?" Susanita asked as she set their plates down.

"Ah, yes." Rosemary nodded, sitting down opposite her. "All's fine and dandy in Rosie-land." She joked. "Nancy and Barb are going to," She thought a second, shoving a spoonful of mashed potato into her mouth as an excuse for her pause. "That assembly to support the Byers'. I'm not, I find it quite upsetting." It wasn't a complete lie. It was very upsetting. Just not for Rosemary. She found very few thing upsetting, actually. She found it worrying and distressing, and she felt very sympathetic for the Byers'. But she didn't find it particularly upsetting, despite the fact that she really should do.