One Shot #11

ENJOY ***

The annual celebrations of Christmas had been nulled by the Revolutionary government and the man in the green coat had spoilt the seasonal cheer of the great bustling city that was now covered in blood. Marguerite St. Just sat in her apartments on the Rue de Richelieu, holding her hands above her hot chocolate, frothy and sweet. 

She leaned out her window into the biting air and blinked against the wind, wishing for the celebration that wouldn't come. At the sound of a knock on the door, she retreated from the window and pulled her shawl closer over her fair shoulders. 

She approached the door to her lodgings warily. In these times, a knock on the door didn't always mean a loving visitor. The door swung open. 

 Percy Blakeney was standing in the doorway, his presence filling the entire room. 

He put his hand against the frame of the door and peered inside the room. He whispered, "Is Chauvelin here?"

"No, but may I ask why you inquire?"

"Simply because I brought a Christmas present for you, and well, you know. Christmas is not widely accepted anymore. The times!"

Marguerite pulled him inside and shut the door. "Would you like some chocolate? I shouldn't drink all of this."

"Why yes, although it might taste sour, compared to your sweetness." He smirked.

Marguerite rolled her eyes and blushed, bringing the cup with her. She sat down on his lap and buried her head in his neck.  

He kissed her forehead.  "Darling? Would you like your gift?"

"Yes, please."

"Well, alright, sit up, my love. I brought you a present but also a little party. You deserve a party. The first thing you need for Christmas," he smiled, "if I remember correctly, is mistletoe."

He raised a branch above his head, looked up at it, and laughed. "Hah! Look at that, my love. I didn't even plan that." With one hand still raised above his head, he put one of her curls behind her ear, leaned over, and kissed her. Marguerite sighed, wanting him more than ever. His lips parted hers, and finally, with much reluctance, he pulled away, eyes still closed.

"If we continue like this, you won't get the rest of your party, and that would be a shame." He looked at her very seriously.  "Continuing! So, you see, every year, in England, I go to the opera for Christmas.  It isn't really required, but I thought it would be lovely to spend my opera time with you, this year. So, I, feeling rather radical this Christmas," he pulled out a Santa hat, and the pinned a tricolor to it,  "came upon tickets to the Marriage of Figaro. What do you say?"

"I would love it, Percy! How wonderful! I need a dress and, and jewelry, and..." She trailed off, looking at him. "What?"

"Well, it's just that - since I knew you would look beautiful in it, I bought this for you. If you don't like it, I can fetch you a new one, but... I liked it. " He looked vulnerable as he handed her a box.

She opened it to find a beautiful white dress, with blue embroidery, lining the the the sides of the waist, and fanning out into blue cloth on the skirt. 

"Oh, Percy, it's beautiful! It must have cost you a fortune!"

"A fortune for you, my darling, is money well spent."

Marguerite looked down to find a small pouch at the bottom of the box. "Percy, you didn't!" Inside was necklace of fine sapphire, layered and shining. "Shall I try it on?"

"I would love that." He waited for a moment, as Marguerite rustled behind her boudoir doors to put on the dress. She came finally from behind the doors, smiling widely, and twirling. 

"Percy, it's beautiful, I'm beautiful! It fits like a glove! Could you clasp the necklace for me?"

"Of course, my dear." His hands grazed her neck, and Marguerite's eyes closed. Once the necklace was on, Percy leaned forward and kissed her shoulder repeatedly, finally reaching her collarbone. She raised her hand to the side of his face, letting out a little sigh, and turning to kiss him on the lips. He moaned softly against her lips.

"Pity," he said. "To put the dress on, only for me to take it off."