One Shot #5

THIS ONE IS A CONTINUATION OF ONE SHOT #4

TAKE NOTE OF THIS OR YOU WILL BE CONFUSED

LITTLE MOTHER IS ARMAND'S NICKNAME FOR MARGUERITE I WILL PROVE IT TO YOU I'M NOT JUST CREEPY.

***enjoy

The doors at the very end of Percy's gaze of confusion suddenly sprang open, to admit possibly the most beautiful thing in all of Europe at the time.

Surely she was the most beautiful. How could something so beautiful be so deceiving? Had she really done it?
He could not imagine, even hating someone as he might, ever sending their entire family, including the oblivious children, to a merciless, cold machine.

Even he, tormented as he was, though, could not help but smile as Marguerite entered the room, he arm clasped in Armand's. Armand was watching her intently, watching her happiness.

He leaned over to her, and whispered in her ear, "I'm happy for you, little mother."

She smiled, but did not look at Armand. Her sparkling eyes were glued to the man she loved. She did not see the pain, the confusion, and the hurt behind Percy's eyes. She laughed almost, a sound the made the whole room smile, and kept moving forward, her eyes never leaving Sir Percy. The sunlight filtered through the window, allowing to the stained glass to scatter fractals of purple and blue about the room.

It was only when she reached him that Marguerite noticed it. It, to her, meaning the way his cheeks were completely pale, his hands were cold as he took hers in them, and the way his face was set and unmoving. It was terrible. She studied his face for a moment. For every moment she evaluated his evident anger and confusion, she allowed her own of both to build. Eventually she looked downward to where his hands clasped her own glove-clad ones. She held tighter, like she felt she was losing him.

He looked just how he was supposed to look. A small smile played over his lips.

Really, his eyes were burning, and his heart beating fast.

She looked just how she was supposed to look. She shifted a bit on her feet.

Really, she felt like crying, wondering what could possibly have gone wrong.

And everyone else sensed something askew as well. The preliminary speech went slower than usual, without the normal excitement, and the silence in the hall was not anticipation, but confusion, of what could have gone wrong with the happy couple.

'The Marquis de St. Cyr.' She thought.