5: Memories and Meetings

Fire. There was fire.

The elf rushed forward, his hands gesturing quick signs for water magic. In an instant, the air solidified into a bubble of floating liquid, instantly splashing down onto the burning object.

Only it wasn't an object. It was a person.

"Miya!" The young elf screamed. "Wake up! We need to go!"

"Gri..an?" The girl wheezed, her eyes fluttering dangerously. Grian slapped her awake.

"Listen to me! We're under attack! You have to run!" He screamed, forcing her to get on her feet. She did so groggily, grabbing her bow from him. She looked at her surroundings and paled at what she saw.

"Wh-what's going on?" She stammered, fear evident in her eyes.

The boy smiled sadly. "I just told you. It's war."

She turned to look at him with horrified eyes.

"Miya," Grian pressed. "Run to the temple right now."

"B-but what about-"

"Forget it. Just go!" He pushed her away. She stared, on the the verge of tears.

"Brother..." She gasped, her eyes searching for something- anything! It felt so surreal.

Grian simply smiled. "I need you to pray, okay? You were a better sacrifice than me anyways."

"No- wait!"

Fire. There was fire.

And then there was blood.

--

Miya gasped, her eyes snapping open. Only, her gaze had met darkness and void. No sounds. No light. No nothing.

She breathed in sharply, suddenly feeling claustrophobic. Her senses were there, she knew she was somewhere yet she felt devoid of all sense.

She couldn't see. She couldn't breathe.

Calm down, she told herself.

You need to calm down

Miya forced herself to stay calm. She forced herself to stay awake. Wherever she was. She was dreaming. This was all a dream.

Then light came. But it was small, and focused on one image. The image grew closer- expanded- until it solidified into a formed being. A bloodied and hunched being.

He was dressed in Elven clothes and had pointy ears.

"Grian?" Her voice cracked. But no, it wasn't her brother. Whereas her kin wore his hair cropped, this man had his long, the ends of his platinum strands caked in his blood. She didn't recognize him.

But then the elf looked up-

He had no pupils. His eyes were entirely white.

"Find me." He whispered.

And once again, Miya's vision faded to black.

_________

"Easy there sunshine, wouldn't want you to hit your head again, don't we?"

Miya opened her eyes to meet the gaze of a beautiful woman. A strangely loud, blonde and beautiful woman.

She couldn't have been any older than Miya, but she spoke as if she regarded the elf as younger.

No, injured.

The room around her morphed into form, allowing the archer to take note of her surroundings. She was in a dimly lit room, lying beneath the second level of a bunk bed. The woman was beside her, stripping away what seemed like bloodied bandages. She replaced the ones on Miya's right shoulder with freshly cut strips, careful not to hit her head on the bed's low ceiling.

Strangely enough, Miya felt no pain.

"Don't look so surprised." The woman suddenly said, reading her thoughts. The ends of her lips quirked into a playful grin. "You're wearing my regeneration amulet. After three days of being unconscious, well I bet the little thing's been doing wonders for you now, hasn't it?"

Miya reached up and touched the heavy necklace on her throat. Sure enough, she felt calmed and healed. What puzzled her was the fact that this person let a stranger use her own items. The amount it costs to purchase even one regeneration stone cost way beyond reasonable standards!

"W-why..." Miya croaked. Her mouth was unbelievably dry, probably from dehydration. "...did you save me?"

The woman's grin formed into a smile. She shrugged, tilting her head to the side.

"The question isn't why, sunshine. It's why not." The woman took Miya's hand and shook it in formal greeting.

"My name's Layla. I'm a gunner. Nice to meet you."

"I'm-"

"Save it." Layla suddenly cut, though not unkindly. "I know who you are. Nana's told me about you."

At the sound of her companion's name Miya lurched upward, hitting her head in the process. The pain was dulled by the amulet, yet the elf could feel panic rising from within. She had left Nana all alone!

"Careful!" Layla chided, taking her by the shoulders. "You may be healing but you can't be reckless! That thing's almost out of juice so if you can't ease up a bit..."

Layla needn't finish. Miya knew exactly what she meant.

The Moon elf flushed in shame. She had been reckless about her own wellbeing, therefore troubling her own savior. Oh holy moons just how barbaric had she become? She had left Nana by herself in pursuit of her own selfish whims. Now she has so graciously offended someone who had stuck her neck out for her. Miya felt horrible.

Noticing her grimace, Layla squeezed her uninjured shoulder gently.

"She's fine Miya." The gunner assured. "She's downstairs wreaking havoc like the tiny furball she is. You'd do her well if you just rest for now."

"Thank you." Miya blurted suddenly, the action stunning the elf quite a bit.

"I... can't think of how I can ever repay you."

At this Layla merely smiled, her warm blue eyes regarding her thoughtfully.

"How about you get some rest first. We could start from there."

Miya nodded, warmed by her reply. The elf allowed herself to ease back under the covers. She watched as Layla stood up and walked towards the door, noticing only now the weapon she had been carrying all along. The device was not like anything Miya had ever seen before.

"Rest well Miya." Layla smiled as she reached the door. "Oh and don't be scared by the noise downstairs. God knows what the Rook makes his customers drink. Don't worry about it though. Most of the time, the boys behave."

The gunner closed the lights and Miya watched as the room flooded with darkness, her eyes closing in the same rhythm as the door.

Hopefully, her dreams would plague her no more

________

:)