The lack of coordination

I woke up disorientated. Normally an early bird I really wasn't sure what the time was. I flipped over to my phone to check the time.. Expecting to be awake ten minutes earlier than my alarm I was annoyed to find that for the first time since I could remember I was late. 20 minutes late. Maybe the lines of conformity were beginning to slip away. I laughed.

Driving into school I stopped at my usual spot and got out. I'd never been late before apart from that one time when I had a dentists appointment to discover that I didn't have any wisdom teeth. I strode out and walked into reception. "Sorry I'm late" I said to the chubby red faced woman behind the counter. "Alright dear" she said and tapped at the computer. I walked to my first lesson. Double chemistry.

As I slid through the door trying to go unnoticed I walked to the back and sat down at the very last table. I loved chemistry but I was finding it difficult, I liked my teacher but she wasn't very good at controlling the class. I would sit through the next double period reading my text book and teaching myself content whilst people were laughing and chatting unaware we had exams in close proximity.

A chair scraped next to me and someone sat down. I glanced at this person through the curtains of my copper hair. Deeply tanned and with jet black hair and as good looking as they come this Greek Adonis of a boy opened his text book, plugged in his headphones and began to make notes. I stared for three seconds, stunned at the ease with which he managed to focus in this jungle like classroom and returned to my own reading. I can't remember a time I saw one of the good looking ones not taking advantage of a weak teacher.

The bell went, I got up to ask my teacher a few questions about what I had read. She consolidated my knowledge and I went for lunch.

At the bottom of the stairs leading to the cafeteria I bent down to tie my shoe laces. I was clumsy and had learnt from past experiences that untied laces and my blatant lack of hand eye coordination or any coordination for that matter do not compliment one another well. I looked up quickly and found myself face to face with the crotch region of some very expensive pin striped suit trousers. I rolled my eyes at myself embarrassed at my idiocy and got up. The person I found myself reaching the gaze of was Mr Lingham. My heart leaped as I took in his stubbled chin and cheeky grin. I must have made an embarrassing face whilst I stared at him because his smile faltered and he stepped back putting space between us. What felt like a lifetime passed. He cleared his throat awkwardly and walked away. I stared after him. He turned to look at me and laughed. "Bye Ana" and with that he turned a corner and was gone.

Dumbfounded I realised that he knew my name. I felt a surge of pleasure and then punished myself for it. That was stupid. You can't like a teacher.