Petty Thefts and Leo's Breasts

Chapter 4: petty thefts and Leo's breasts

Nico

I don't know how much longer I can last here. It's not just the hours of running, agonising therapy and disgusting food. But I'm beginning to like the people less and less.

Most of the guys in my Cabin were semi-decent but now Leo and I weren't talking so I didn't feel like talking to any of the others. I always hated Coach Hedge but I thought Chiron was a wise qualified therapist. But obviously he isn't. His methods are completely ridiculous and I don't see how any of this can help a bunch of delinquents turn in to behaved members of society. Now I'm stuck sitting in front of Frank Zhang awkwardly trying to look anywhere but at him.

"Now, I've put you into groups to talk to one another about how you came to be here. Consult each other. Then after you've both spoken to each other you must tell them what you think they should have done."

I snuck a glance at Leo and his partner who I didn't recognise. Frank scoffed awkwardly and I looked over at him, "Well uh, yeah my dad sent me here because..." He trailed off.

"You don't have to tell me." I reassured him, even though I really wanted to know. But then again, if he didn't tell me anything I wouldn't have to tell him.

"You're kind of obligated to believe what I say, right?" I smiled. He was so shy and awkward, perfect for Hazel.

"Yeah, sure."

"Okay, my dad sent me here because he thinks it'll toughen me up. I've been coming here every summer since... I don't remember. I told Hazel last summer when she asked where I was going, she believed me."

So Frank didn't do anything? That's not really fair. His dad sounds like a douche, we could start a club. Hazel can join too.

I didn't know what to say in reply to him so I didn't.

"What about you?"

"I stole a bracelet."

Frank laughed. "Really? That's it? Jeez no offense Nico but I thought you like killed a man or something."

"It was a three hundred dollar bracelet I ripped it off a lady's wrist after I broke in to her house..." Frank stopped laughing. Nico smiled, "It belonged to my sister. My dad gave it to his mother in law, Demeter, as a gift. So, I went and, took it back."

"Was she old?"

"Very old."

"Jesus, Nico. Couldn't Hazel have gotten another one?" I looked away.

"Not Hazel..." My sister had died a few months ago, along with my mother in a freak car accident. They had just come back from the markets, that's where Bianca had bought the bracelet with the silver chain and the only Mythomagic figurine I didn't have. It was a rare item- The bracelet not the figurine. It was really expensive but she said she was saving up for something like it. "She died holding it... And a Mythomagic figurine she'd bought for me, because I was sick and couldn't go."

"I'm sor-" Frank began to apologise but I didn't give him a chance.

"Please don't say that. Or feel sorry for me, I've had enough of that crap."

And then there was silence, until...

"Which Mythomagic figurine?"

I laughed. That's not usually the reply I got, but I preferred it. "Hades. But I stopped playing that game, it's for kids anyways."

"Yeah... Totally..." Frank looked away awkwardly. "But if you change your mind... I've got a deck of cards in my bag if you want to be a kid again later?"