Sandman the Protector

"Is this it, Sandy?" Jack asked quietly as the sleigh neared a building.

Sandy nodded and floated out, heading towards the window. The others followed as the small Guardian peaked inside. The others did the same.

"That's her?" Tooth asked for confirmation.

Sandy gave another nod. The Guardian looked towards the others and gestured towards the window, then formed a question mark out of sand.

North nodded. "Yes, I think we should get closer look at this girl." He said as he began to open the window.

Once it was open everyone filed in. The group quietly approached your bed.

"She's really pretty." Tooth said with a smile.

"Yeah, she is." Jack muttered. "Do you think that's why Pitch is interested in her?"

Bunny shook his head. "No way. Pitch would never be interested in a partner, let alone a human one!"

Jack glared at him. "What's wrong with having a human partner?"

Bunny held his hands up. "Hey, mate, that's not what I meant. Pitch just wouldn't be interested!" He returned the glare. "And you shouldn't be either. We're immortal. Dating a human will lead to nothin' but heartbreak."

The winter spirit blushed. "I never said I was interested!" He said defensively.

As they argued, Sandy turned to look at you when he heard some fearful moans. He frowned when he noticed you were tossing and turning restlessly. She's having a nightmare. He felt a pang of sympathy as you let out a whimper of fear, and he began to form a small pile of dream sand in his hand. The others stopped and turned when they heard the soft twinkling of the sand. Tooth placed a hand over her heart as your nightmare seemed to increase. Before it got too much worse, Sandy gently blew on the sand, and it flew from his hand and fluttered softly onto you, you settling almost instantly as small sand figures of you playing with a dog appeared above your head. Sandy gave a small smile as you hummed happily, your nightmare chased away.

"So what are we going to do about this woman?" Bunny asked, leaning on the wall.

"Well if Pitch is interested in her we should at least keep an eye on her for a little while." Jack suggested. "Make sure she's safe."

North nodded in agreement. "That sounds fine." He turned to Sandy. "Sandy, you can check on her at the end of your shift here, yes?"

The Sandman gave a confident smile and two thumbs up.

North grinned and crossed his arms. "It is settled then. Sandy will check on girl and let us know if he sees any more sign of Pitch."

Everyone nodded in agreement and began heading for the sleigh, Sandy staying a little longer. He looked you over worriedly before sighing and jumping into the sleigh with the others.

Sandy's dream sand returned to the Guardian as it finished with its job below. Once it disappeared, the small man sat upon his cloud of sand and watched your building for a few minutes. After a while and nothing happened, Sandy sighed before floating closer, peeking through your window. He frowned when he saw you tossing and turning. She's having a nightmare again. The Sandman wasted no time in ordering a strand of dream sand to float through your window. It began floating above your head, and you settled down, a smile forming on your face. The strand of sand dissipated, leaving just the sand figures of you dancing with a small child above your head. Sandy smiled as the sand you picked up the child and hugged it tightly. He watched you for a few moments.

The Guardian of Dreams frowned as the two sand figures returned to their dance. Why her? She seems so...normal. Of course, you don't really see much of a person when they're asleep. His eyes widened. Unless...