Chapter 1

His fingers trailed over the covers of the books on the shelf. The silence in the library was cold, almost like a restless spirit wandering through the alleys. His brown eyes stared at each title wrote in gold letters on the oldest books of the library. He picked one and walked to the desk of the librarian. The school's librarian was a living cliché : Thick glasses, bored face and grey hair. She looked ancient. Simon smiled to her... and didn't get an answer. She took the book, scanned it and gave it back to him. He headed toward the library's exit. As soon as he opened the door, the faint sound of people talking surprised him. He went to his locker, where his girlfriend was waiting for him.

- Hi ! She said in a high-pitched voice before kissing him
- Hey, Simon answered, his voice still sleepy from his lack of sleep.

He hugged her and smiled softly. She put a hand on his neck, pressing herself slightly against him.

- How you going ? She said gently
- Good, you ?
- I'm fine now
- God, you're so cheesy

They both chuckled, their faces full of genuine happiness. Soon, May's friends were there. Simon sighed, he never really liked them. They were those girly, way too skinny lapdogs who laughed at any joke, good or bad. He smiled at May, kissed her forehead and walked to his own gang.

Only 3 of them had already arrived ; Tommy, Fred and Nick. Tommy was a tall red/brown haired guy. He was one of the smartest boys he ever knew and he had a... kinky sense of humor. Fred was a boyish brown-haired girl. She was clever, bit of a psychopath and always wore plaid. She was also lesbian, not that he cared, but it just felt easier talking to her that way. And they were left with Nick. Simon never knew how to describe him. His hair were golden and he had those sparkly caramel eyes who could make blush... everybody. He wasn't the smartest or the funniest, but he was kind, fierce and a sympathetic drama queen. Those were the only 3 friends he was completely à l'aise with. Why ? Because they knew. They never actually told him that they knew, but he felt they did. After all, Nick was kind of in the same situation. Nick was pansexual and never outed to his girlfriend, or anybody, fearing her reaction. Simon was in the exact same situation, except he was bisexual.

- Hey Sim ! Nick said, a smile growing on his face.
- Hey
- How are you going ? Fred intervened
- Pretty good, you ?
- I'm fine, she said, shrugging

There was a silence, not awkward, not tense, just a friendly, relaxed silence. The only sounds that could be heard were the faint conversations and the buzzing of the neons. Simon slowly sat at the picnic table, his sleepy mind gently drifting away. He looked around him. He stared at other students, teachers, the almost empty corridors, Fred, Tom, ...Nick. Without noticing it, he started staring at him, his eyes moving slowly to admire him. His eyes were sparkling like fireworks that would've been lit. His golden hairs were glowing under the soft light of the morning sun. It made the holes in his skin look so perfect, like God himself had pressed a needle on his delicate skin, forming each pore. His glare moved slowly from his cheeks to his lips. They were a soft pink and seemed wet as Nick passed his tongue on them. They look soft, sweet, delicate, almost kis...
"Stop it" his mind shouted. "Stop thinking like that when you don't mean it"

- What's our first class ? Tom asked, pulling Simon away from his ...weird thoughts.
- Math, Nick answered absently. He was talking to Tommy, but his eyes were caught by Simon's before he could look away. They were both staring at each other, their faces neutral indifferent, almost cold.

Fred coughed, making the 2 guys jump scared, then looking away, blush creeping on their faces. Fred smirked and mumbled something under her breath, looking at Tom. Sim didn't hear what she said, but he understood that it was none of his business.

People were now arriving by waves, each person leaving the hallway to their lockers, like rivers flowing away from their lake. Every wave brought some more friends. Soon, they were 7 at the table : Jonathan, David, Lea, Tommy, Fred, Nicolas and Simon. They were all talking, laughing or fighting over the answers of an exam. Since they were in February, they had a lot of exams and too much works to hand to even consider having a social life. In fact, morning was the only moment they could have one, if you weren't already busy studying or copying a homework. Sim was talking with David, joking around and acting like fools.