Red Pendant

Here's to the ones that we got, cheers to the wish you were here but your not, cause the drinks.....

"Anu...Anu" a distant calling reached my ears through the loud music blaring from the headphone. I paused midway trying to figure out the voice.

"Let it not be him" I prayed with fingers crossed. As I slowly turned around I knew my prayers had gone unanswered. A tall skinny figure rushed towards me. I sighed and took all the ounce of my strength to stop rolling my eyes.

He stumbled before me, his breath hitting the ground as he panted and coughed. He tried holding the books slipping from his sweaty palm and failing miserably at it.

"Hi..I..have..." he gasped, his huge glasses fogging with every breath.

"Aiden, breathe. And let me hold your books" I offered, taking those heavy records from his hands.

"Well," he started taking a deep breath "We are having a send-off party, My brother is going to States tomorrow, so all my friends are invited. You better be there today at 7 in the evening. Wear the yellow dress you wore on our first date" he said letting go off the filtered air his lungs held.

After a minute of deciphering and processing the entire sentence, I raised my eyebrow and shook my head "No".

"You.owe.me. Remember the radio wave transmitter I helped you out with last summer?" He asked with a wink.

I pictured the dusty transmitter that now sits in the corner of my room waiting to be cleaned. "Yes, I remember the professor giving me a ten on ten" I stressed.

"Is that a note of sarcasm that I hear" he inquired.

"Well, more like a symphony" I added.

"I want you there, I know we aren't dating anymore, but I want you there" he shook his head "I will make sure the transmitter works..." he smiled "Next time."

I could hear the college song playing at a distance, and the bell going off. "Listen, I'll try. Here" I said handing over his records back to him "you better get going, it's like an hour before you reach your college"

"So? " he raised his eyebrows.

I shrugged and turned back. I could feel his eyes examining my every move. I stopped for a second and started walking towards the college as Aiden sighed behind me.

People say that we fall in love, but I walked into love with Aiden. I walked into love with him, with my eyes wide open, choosing to take every step along the way.

Love wasn't blind in our case. It was more like having an extra eye. Watching our every move, being updated of each and every minute of our life. Juggling between our exams, extracurriculars and pleasing our families, we dedicated remaining energy for the so-called relationship. Until one day we realized that it was time to concentrate on ourselves and parted our ways.

We couldn't hate each other for the fate that we had bestowed upon us, and how could we hate someone who has given us memories for life. As John Green says you remember your first love because they show you, prove to you, that you can love and beloved, that nothing in this world is deserved except for love, that love is both how you become a person and why.

His thoughts still make me smile, his presence still gives raise to butterflies. But the fear of the emotional roller coaster and the never-ending insecurities makes me realize why we decided to choose this destiny. But we stayed in touch in order to avoid the awkwardness of silence.

And never in my dreams had I imagined that another roller coaster ride awaited me.

As I neared the main gates a gigantic looking man in leather jacket and jeans crossed my path dropping a beautiful pendant beside me. A red one, similar to the one that hung on my neck.

"Excuse me, " I called out loud.

He turned around with a look of uncertainty and confusion on his face trying to figure out the voice.

I called out again walking toward him and handed over the pendant. " I believe this is yours"

His eyes bulged in surprise as though it's going to fall out at any moment. He stared at me with his mouth agape.

Is he having a heart attack?

"You aren't supposed to see me" He whispered. "You..how?..."

Hello...you good looking old man! I wanted to shout and get him back to his senses.

"I'm running late for my classes." I blurted out.

I placed the pendant in his palm and rushed towards my class. I glanced back one last time. The man stared at me, his eye twinkling with joy, surprise and completely black.

I must be dreaming again!

hi everyone,
Thank you for the comments and all the sharing on my first chapter. I will try to make my further chapters interesting.
And keep commenting and sharing your experience. good day everyone