"All right, but how does that help?"

"I don't really know. But at least you won't have to walk home, I can give you a ride, and you'll be home when your parents are home so you won't be alone. I doubt something would happen in class..."

"OK." I said reluctantly as he started the engine again. I hated that he was so weird about constantly making sure I was all right.

"Do you really think this is serious, or is someone just messing with us?" I said after a few minutes of silence.

"I'm not sure. It seems silly for something like this to be real, but to have someone go through all this trouble of... never mind."

I narrowed my eyes at him but kept my mouth closed. We reached Derek's house and got out of his car. I slowly walked up the front steps to where Ava and Ethan were standing, being careful not to trip in the dark.

Ethan and Ava were hugging, and I couldn't help but smile. They looked cute together.

"So, I'll see you tomorrow?" Derek asked.

"Uh, yeah. Bye."

"Bye." Derek leaned down and gave me a peck on the lips, then retreated back into the house. Ava, who had gone in to get her car keys, gave me a knowing smile.

"I assume everything is OK with you and Derek?" She asked, and I nodded.

As we got into her car I grinned at her. "OK, how did it go? I want to know all of the details!"

Ava smiled. "Well... it was awesome! He seemed totally into me, and he told me he's like to get together again! I admit, at first I thought he was kind of distant, but now he might ask me to be his girlfriend or something!"

"That's great! Seriously, I'm really happy for you!" And I was. At least she can have a boyfriend without having to worry about somebody threatening her.

"Thanks! Oh, here's your house! Remember, we went shopping." Ava winked at me as she watched me exit the car. "Bye!"

"Bye! Oh, I told Derek we'd come to his practice tomorrow since we can't go to the game. Is that OK with you?"

"Yeah, sure! We can see them try to kill each other. It will be so fun." Ava said sarcastically, pulling out of my driveway. She waved as she drove away.

"Hi Natalie!" My mom said as I opened the door. "How was shopping? Did you get anything?"

"Um, no, it was mostly for Ava. She needed a new sundress, so we just got things for her."

"Oh, that's cool. What was the sundress for?" My mom said as I sat down on the couch.

"Um, just for summer." I said lamely.

"All right. Now, it's a school night, so go upstairs and get ready for bed. Zoe is just reading."

"OK." I ran up the stairs and burst into Zoe's room.

"Zoe, you will not believe where I just was!" I said excitedly. Zoe looked up from her book, a bored expression on her face. Rolling her eyes, she set down her book and glanced up at me.

"Where?"

"On a date!"

"With Derek? Cool." Zoe smirked at my surprised expression and attempted to pick up her book. I took it from her hands and stared at her.

"How do you already know that?"

"It's called eavesdropping! I mean, you and Ava were talking pretty loudly. I didn't know you two were back together. It's only been like, what, a couple weeks? That was fast!"