CHAPTER 29

The next few months rolled by uneventful, the harshness of winter had begun to subside and now buds were forming on trees giving the dull landscape a burst of colour now that we were in March. Me and my Aunt now went out nearly everyday tending to the small vegetable plot we had at the side of the cottage, planting seeds ready for harvesting in the summer. The chickens we raised were now allowed out of the coups and could roam around freely in the boarders of the cottage, now that the temperature had risen so that the mornings were no longer frost covered. My Aunt always said we raised and produced our own chicken and vegetables to prevent us from having to walk down into the village and use the local supply shop as it didn't have a wide range of amenities.

It was a Saturday, I was in the kitchen washing up some pots and pans from the morning's breakfast.

"I'm going down to the village, I won't be long, see you later." My aunt called as she slipped on her coat and walked towards the door.

"Wait do you need any help?" I asked as she turned to look at me.

"I would much prefer if you stayed here where I know you're safe. Anyway, I won't be long, all I need to do is to send a message." She said with a smile on her face.

"Who's the message for?" I asked curiously as I noticed she avoided the subject.

"God Rose, don't worry it's just to a friend of mine." She said as she kissed me on the nose ruffling my hair before she stepped out the door and closed it. I now stood there the tea towel in my hands as I dried them. Spinning around on my heal I threw the towel onto one of the dining chairs and made my way up the stairs to change the sheets in the bedrooms.

I walked into my Aunt's room which had a strong floral scent and began to place the pillows on the floor before I stripped off the bedding. As I got rid of the last pillow off the bed, the side of my Aunt's bedside table was revealed, looking closer at it I realised that there were some words repeatedly carved into the soft wood. I traced my fingers over it as I read the words slowly.

"Forgive me..." Confusion filled my body as I looked down at the rest of the carvings. They all read the same. It was repeated over and over as if it was a obsessive habit. Quickly I began to strip the bed and began to examine the rest of the furniture to see if there were any other words that would maybe make the other carvings make sense. Frustratingly I couldn't find any other carvings, but when I turned around I could see the edge of some paper sticking out from under my Aunts mattress. Pushing the mattress up I managed to pull out the letter.

"To Roseabell- Not to be opened until March fourth." The envelope read and was written in my Aunt's handwriting, I stood there looking at the letter debating whether to open it. After all the date on the letter was tomorrow, however, after much debating I slipped the letter into the pocket of my jeans.

I picked up the basket of washing and took it downstairs into the kitchen where I put it in the washing machine. The time was now 3:30 PM and it had been an hour since my Aunt had left to go into the village, my body was full of suspicion while I wondered why she was taking so long. I continued to clean the house to pass time and to keep myself occupied and by the time I'd finished another two hours had passed. Sitting in a chair at the table, I looked out the window at the woods in the distance hoping to see my Aunts red coat emerging from the woods and walking up the path. But after half an hour there was nothing. Quickly I stood up from the table and slipped on a coat, I walked down the path towards the gate. I placed my hand in front of me to reach for the gate but the force field around the cottage acted like a barrier. I was trapped in the dome. My body began to fill with panic as I began to scream for my Aunt but there was no reply as the silence hung heavily in the air.

Suddenly I could feel something burning around my neck and as I looked down I realised that my necklace had begun to glow. I looked back up into the darkness of the woods and slowly began to back away from the gate towards the cottage, my breathing quickening as I remembered what it meant when my necklace glowed.

"The necklace will only glow and burn if danger is near," I whispered as I clutched the necklace trying to prevent my hands from shaking.

Something was about to happen.

Something bad.

I hope you liked this chapter if so please leave a comment and vote, we're so close to 2K now!! Anyway I hope that you had a nice Christmas those of you who celebrate it 😊
-Chloe x