thirteen // dark paradise

Start from the beginning

"And the baby?" he questions, the most serious look I've ever seen plastered to his face.

It's the first time I've ever seen his genuine concern for our child. It gave me the reassurance I needed, knowing he cared, even if he didn't show it any other day of his life.

"Marcel trusts me" I repeat, ignoring his concern. "He'll have his entire vampire army keeping an eye on her, to keep her safe. I couldn't be in safer hands."

He stood from his chair, slowly finding his way over the window. His hands entwine behind his back as he watches the day go by.

"I've always known I can't control you, even when I was seventeen. So if this is something you want, I can't stop you" he insists softly, never turning to look at me.

I smile to myself, thinking back to when he really was seventeen. So young and innocent. It's nice to know he still remebers what that's like.

"Thank you" I whisper in somewhat surprise, just as I hear the front door being opened.

"Faith!" I hear Rebekah call, followed by the door being slammed shut.

I excuse myself from Niklaus' presense, making my way into the living room. I'm surprised to see Rebekah at the computer on the coffee table, while Agnes sits patiently on one of the living room couches.

I've never liked Agnes. Everything about her tells me she has no interest in helping me or my child, she has the ora of someone who's only in it for herself.

"Agnes, what brings you here?" I ask as nicely as possible, taking a seat on the couch opposite her. The further away, the better.

"How are you feeling?" she smiles, as if to show me she's actually interested.

I don't believe her act for a second.

"I feel fine" I mutter, pulling a pillow into my lap as I cross my legs.

"You are overdue for a check-up."

The thought had crossed my mind a million times. But I'm not allowed to leave this house without an escort and I can't exactly go see a normal doctor. I might be on good terms with Marcel but his friends might not know that,  they'll see a werewolf and come running. 

"I don't know what to do about that, I can't just show up in the quarter for a quick ultrasound. A pregnant werewolf escorted by a witch? Nothing to see here." I mock, trying to find the humor in the situation.

"A lot of women would kill to have a child" Rebekah turns her head to contribute. "So you bloody well will take better care of yours. That's my niece or nephew your harbouring in there."

I can't help my slight giggle, liking the idea of a mini Rebekah running around.

I some times forget, I'm not only having this child for me, but for Rebekah. She always wanted to have a child, even as a teenager. The day she was turned into a vampire, that dream was taken away from her.

"I know a doctor out in the bayou off the beaten path." Agnes assures me. "Now I took the liberty of making an appointment for you tonight after hours, just us. Vampires will never get word of it."

Now, normally I would tell the woman to go to hell, not trusting her for a split second. But this is my child, and the thought of something happening just because I didn't trust a witch, would haunt me forever.

"Okay" I answer. "Bayou baby doctor it is."

-------

Jaz music pouring out of every corner, every bar, every where in the city.