0 4

"and we never saw her again. after that, she was gone," lucas finished his story, sitting up in his seat.

violet also sat up. "wow."

"it's crazy."

"it's crazy, but i liked it."

"really?"

violet nodded and stood up, going to the door. "yeah, i believe you. it's absolutely unbelievable, but i believe it."

she opened the door and stepped out, heading towards the dig dug machine.

"our most important rule is, "friends don't lie," alright?" he quickly told her, it almost seemed too true that she would believe him so quickly.

she ripped the 'out of order' paper off the machine. "and how do you explain this?" she stamped the paper onto his chest.

"i had to protect you," he mammered as she began playing the new favorite arcade game of hers.

"from the shadow monster?" she joked, continuing to stare at the machine.

"lower your voice."

"or the bad men that took el--"

lucas immediately covered her mouth. "you're going to get us killed."

she ripped his hand off of her mouth. "you're serious?"

he nodded slowly at her. a car roared outside, violet peeked out the window of the door, seeing jonas in his car. "shit. i have to go. don't follow me out, okay?"

he nodded in response, violet heading out with her skateboard and getting inside the car.

"the hell did i tell you?" jonas said.

"i'm not late."

"you know what i'm talking about."

"oh, lucas?"

"so he has a name now."

"it's a small town. we weren't hanging out," she lied. she knew he wasn't believing her.

"well, you know what happens when you lie."

"i'm not lying," she lied once again, trying to convince him otherwise. he stepped on the pedal and the car sped off. violet noticed lucas running out in the rear view mirror.

--

violet sat in her room, ripping off duct tape to fix her now broken skateboard. it broke when she tried doing a kickflip outside after she left the arcade. the doorbell rang once, nothing after it.

it rang once again, jonas yelling at violet. "violet! get it, will you?"

the doorbell rang a few more times. "okay!" violet shouted, tossing her board to the side and heading for the door.

she opened it slightly to see lucas. she takes one quick glance at jonas not paying attention then heads outside to talk to him. "what are you doing here?"

"i have proof," he responded.

"what?"

"proof that what i told you was real. but we have to hurry."

"what kind of proof?" she said uneasily, "lucas, i told you i believed you-"

"i know you don't. just meet me around back." violet pushed him and headed back inside to see jonas very close to the door.

violet tried pushing past him, but he stopped her. "who the hell were you talking to?"

it took her a second to think of an answer. "mormons."