Be With Me (Short Story)(completed)

His smile was intimidating, like he didn't care what was happening around him. He was a spectator in this world just here to enjoy life.

     She closed her eyes tight and took in a short staggered breath. Tiny daggers lodged in her throat. It felt good for the moment until she let out a small sigh.

     A rustle of leaves brought her back to reality.

     She opened her eyes slowly to see him leaning against the wall. His lean figure was slightly slouched. Ice blue eyes shone brighr under the curtain of dark hair.

     Another sigh escaped her lips as she took a step forward.

     He was alone now and his smile faded slowly as he pushed the hair out of his face.

     Another step toward him made her heart stop. A short breath brought back the daggers.

     She took another step forward and felt as though there were an invisible wall keeping him from her.

     She tried to say, "Hey," but it came out as a whisper.

     The boy looked up suddenly to see her standing there looking at the ground.

     He took a step forward and felt a force trying to stop him from going any further.

     The girl looked up to see him staring at her.

     He opened his mouth to say something but nothing came out.

     She reached out, feeling something cold against her palm.

     He reached out and was inches away from her hand with his.

     He looked into her eyes and felt a lump form in his throat, his heart dropping in his stomach, and his eyes pricking wirh water.

     She felt anger welling up inside her as tears streamed down her face. Her hand balled up into a fist at her side.

     He looked around to see there was no end to this separation.  This infuriated him.

     He lifted up his fist and started to beat at the wall.

     She started to cry out, "NO!" before he hit it the last time with all his might.

     The glass shattered around his fist. He smiled for a moment. until the glass froze. The pieces pulled back into place, pulling his arm with them.

     He shouted in agong as the pain seeped in.

                  *           *           *

     When she saw him, his arm was wrapped in a sling. His hair was a mess and his eyes were red.

     He looked down as he got closer to her.

     She took out a marker and wrote three words on the glass. Standing up, she pressed her palm above the words and smiled as tears streamed down her face.