Untitled Part 1

Mazikeen Smith and Linda Martin as a bounty hunter duos.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With her license being under question, Linda feels lost and upset. She knows what she needs to do to resolve the feeling -- she's read almost every book, study every journal, and helped thousands of people. But almost dying changes things and the way she wants to experience the world. She felt this gave her the right to ignore everything she knew she needed to do.

"Bounty hunter sounds more badass, Linda." Maze stopped, "No, it is badass. Why are you wearing Bail Enforcement Agent? Bounty hunter strikes fear into our prey."

"No, Maze, you strike fear into the fugitives." Linda nervously shrugged on a bulletproof vest. This was irresponsible, she knew that she knew that. But the adrenaline rushing through her -- could be the lack of experience -- felt amazing far more than anything she's experienced so far.

"You don't have to go in, Linda." Maze looked up at the ceiling, "Not after the shit you went through."

"I'm basically five foot nothing, Maze. I've slept with actual Lucifer, survived almost being killed by a goddess. Think of this as my midlife crisis and I do in fact need to be in the room with you. Just this once. It'll kill the crisis and I'll go back to fretting over my license being revoked."

Maze swung the baton against an invisible opponent thinking. Ever since Linda stepped out of the hospital, she hasn't held a weapon near Linda. As if being in the same room with anything that could kill her would in fact, kill her. Linda tried to bring this up with Maze, who promptly ignored her refuting the idea of keeping weapons away from her -- it wasn't a man-made weapon that almost got her killed.

"Fine, sure, whatever." Maze dropped the baton, sticking it on her belt. "I gave you the picture of the guy, right?"

"Yeah. The hideous scorpion tattoo all over his face won't be hard to miss." and his gnarled arm, caused by his failed attempt to murder his soon-to-be ex wife. It felt weird stepping into a situation where a villainous person looked the part of an evil wife beater. In her world, they had beach houses in Europe and went to lunch with governors. Their wives would sneak in and purge themselves of the shit that went down and then go back home.

"Maze, he's in a La Quinta?"

Maze gave her a weird look and didn't see that was fit enough for a response.

The evening felt bizarre as they drove to the pickup in a silver Nissan Juke. Maze explained it looked nice enough but didn't stand out where they were going. She wasn't wrong. They weren't even in Los Angeles anymore. Her palms sweaty as she pressed against the handle. She didn't want to grab upward, to an invisible ohshit bar as her father would fondly call it. They parked in a vacant parking lot just down the block from the La Quinta. Graffiti infested with a small Arby's advertisement to the left of them. Oh wait, that is an actual Arby's.

"Do you always do these alone?" Linda asked. Maze was in the back grabbing things,fitting them in somehow. She was a demon, she probably had magical pockets for all she knew.

"Look Linda. Get your head in the game."

"Rambling and questions is how I get my head in the game." She pushed up her glasses. She's been wearing her bullet proof vest since they left Chloe's.