Battle Of The Gangs

“What?” Kai cried. “My brother said-”

“We’re not going to kill you, Kai, right guys?” I asked, looking at the guys.

“Right.” They agreed.

“What happened to my brother?” He asked quietly. “Did you kill him?”

“Of course we didn’t.” I sighed. “He’s been arrested for murder, kidnapping, drug dealing, stealing, several assaults and other illegal stuff.” I answered.

“Also mugging, Nad.” Vivo added.

“Whatever.” I waved my hand. “Point is, we don’t kill unless we have to, I’ve never killed a person, seriously injured, yes, but I’ve never killed.”

“Why did he hate you so much then?” Kai asked.

I just shrugged. “How should I know? He wasn’t the best of guys.”

“Our parents are dead!” Kai cried in answer.

“So are ours.” I replied. David flinched and Shane stiffened, but me? I was as calm and relaxed as could be. “I was eleven.” Kai looked surprised, David looked like he was in pain and Shane looked as though he were made of stone. We all missed our parents. “You can’t use that as an excuse for your brothers wrongdoings.”

“What about you guys? You’ve done wrong.” Kai cried.

“Nad.” Shane put a hand out to pull me up. “Leave it.”

“Can I go now, Shanie?” I asked while he helped me to my feet.

“Of course. David-” He started.

“Alone.” I cut in. “Please.”

“Alright, Nadia.” He replied. “Go on, I’ll try talking to him.”

“Be gentle, Shane, you don’t exactly do things gently.” I told him as he pulled me in for a hug.

“I will, Nad, don’t worry. You honestly did really well today, I’m proud of you.” He murmured.

I smiled. “Thanks, Shane, love you.”

Shane pulled back and kissed my forehead. “Love you too, Nad, now go on.” He gently turned me around and pushed me towards the door.

“Are you sure you don’t-” David started.

“I’m sure, David, make sure he’s gentle, alright?” I asked.

He nodded and went to sit back down. “No, up David!” Shane said sharply.

David jumped up, making all of us laugh. “Well, see you later.”

“Take me with you!” David hissed desperately.

I just walked out and up the stairs. When I was in my room I closed the door and slid down it onto the floor, after a minute or so I crawled over to my bed and pulled out my box, leaning against the bed with a huff. With trembling fingers, I opened the lid and held back tears when I looked inside. There were pictures of us and our parents, David and his mom and dad were in a few of them, but mainly it was me, Kadee, Shane, mom and dad.  No one ever showed how much they really missed them, I acted like I didn’t at all, Kadee would go out of the room as soon as they were even mentioned and Shane would go quiet. We all had our different coping mechanisms, Kadee would act like the boss, Shane would work harder with his gang and I had my box. I had been so captivated with my box I hadn’t noticed the door crack open and seen that someone had entered my room. Kai cleared his throat, making my jump out of my skin, slam down the lid and shove the box behind me. “What was in the box?” He asked.