Chapter 3 ~ Of Dolls and Introductions

Start from the beginning

Suddenly I found myself past the barrier and into a grand foyer, which could only be explained as something from the pages of a story. The rich colour immediately drew me into the room, deep red the shade of blood painting the walls and large carpet that lay in the center of the floor. It made the room feel warm, home like, somehow relaxing and intensely comforting. Gold accents lined everything from the trims to the swirling pattern on the rug. Darkly stained wood furniture and small statues were placed sparingly around the corners and walls, and a large crystal chandelier hung from the ceiling, each diamond sparkling like a fairy in flight.

Long hallways ran off on either side of me, passageways leading to some far off place yet to be discovered. I imagined where they wanted to take me, what sort of room they wanted to lead me to. I hoped I would have a chance to explore the rest of the manor later, and somewhere in my heart I knew I would.

What held my attention more than anything was the grand staircase leading up to a balcony sort of hallway on my right, which disappeared behind the left wall. A large red carpet was drizzled over the stairs as if in preparation for a king. The railing must have been made from the purest gold, stretched and carved into ornate flowers and decorative patterns. The steps themselves appeared to be lined in silver, and the whole thing was dripping with wealth and royalty. This was no doubt meant to be the centerpiece of the entrance way, and it was breathtakingly beautiful.

The door thudded loudly behind me, but I was so captivated by my surroundings and lost in my own mind I hardly noticed. How spectacular must this Caretaker be if he lived in a house like this and had servants like the strange man beside me? I assumed he was someone important when I kept hearing about him, but never could I have imagined that he would be powerful enough to own all this. It made me even more curious as to what sort of person he would be. Knowing what I knew about this strange world, which was hardly anything, there was no doubt in my mind that he would be as kind and considerate a man as I would ever hope to meet.

My escort came hobbling up to me, unfazed by the splendor, and drew my attention from the manor. I consciously pushed myself from my trace, shaking the lingering cobwebs from my mind. It would be nothing but a waste of time to stay here any longer, like being so caught up in petty pleasures that you have no desire to dive deeper and find joy.

“Yes, it is quite a place, is it not, miss?” Stopping beside me and taking a moment, he began to fall into his own imagination and memories, his face hinting a smile of days long gone. Shaking his head ever so slightly as if to wake himself up, he continued. “Now, if you just follow me here, we shall soon arrive on time to our first meeting. My wife will be there to greet you, and I am very much looking forward to introducing you. She has been ever so excited to make your acquaintance.”

He began making his way to the right hallway, not getting very far before being interrupted by the sound of soft footsteps coming from behind us. I listened to the noise of a floorboard creaking before turning around, where I saw a shadow spring from behind the left wall of the balcony. A man emerged from the darkness.

He continued marching, never once stopping or looking at us until he was moments away from the staircase. His steps were poised, confident and filled with a soft sort of assurance. Even when he leaned on the railing to greet us he remained in perfect elegance.

At once I was drawn to his eyes; dark orbs that seemed to analyze my every movement. They held a sparkle of something, but being this far away, I couldn’t recognize what it was. There was a definite sort of magic in his gaze, magic that kept prying people from recognizing what was ultimately going through his mind. That fascinated me.

His hair was midnight black, sweeping casually across his forehead and ending just at the tip of his ears. Paler skin gave him a slightly ghostly appearance, though I found him strangely handsome. I was surprised when looking at him further, for he appeared not much older than I was.