Ben Drowned Part 2

Start from the beginning

"I wish I knew how to speak her language now" I voiced my thoughts that have been haunting me.

"What do you mean?"

"She changed. I don't know what will set her off or what will make her breakdown. I-I am trying so hard..." I wiped my eyes with my sweater sleeve exhausted with all of my emotional stress.

"That makes sense, she is still in high school and got cancer. You know the changes they go through...but I understand where you are coming from."

"May I ask what...what it is?" She lowered her voice glancing at me.

"Kidney..."

"Oh..."

"Y-You?"

"It's bad...it was originally colon"

"Originally?"

By now we were facing each other both too engrossed in our shared pain. She sat crossed legged in the tiny chair. She stared down at her hands in her lap as she began to speak.

"It spread so fast...I wasn't able to acknowledge it properly. When did it get this far? It's been four years yet I am not ready to live without her. She is my mom, the most stubborn strong-willed person I know. Yet going through this every day...the constant pain...being so weak and dizzy. How can she still try to act like she can go through this alone? Even though I am not the greatest daughter I will always be there for her when she needs me."

Her eyes watered and she buried her face in her hands no sounds coming out as her back seemed to shake. I couldn't help but get reminded of my love. I surprised her through the phone deciding to visit her. The room was dark and a single light shone through a crack in her bathroom. I walked towards it hearing weird sounds my eyebrows furrowed as I hesitantly peeked. She had lay on the floor next to the toilet her once long thick hair cut haphazardly into a bob. Her whole body was covered in sweat. I burst through the door rushing to her side. She met eyes with me as I began to cry shocked. She told me that she was sleepy and was going to text me tomorrow morning. She watched in silence as I shook looking around for a towel ignoring the stench. I grabbed the blue towel and ran it under cool water hurriedly turning back to her wanting to pull her close to my body and never let her go. I kneeled in front of her wiping the side of her face. Her big eyes glassy her lip trembling.

"Why are you here?" Her voice cut through the silence both stunning and hurting me.

"I-I-I wanted to-" I stammered choking on air.

"I don't want you to see me like this" she whispered her voice hardening.

"B-But"

"I said to tell me before" she shouted as loud as she could shaking against the toilet.

"Do you know how embarrassing this is?! Look at me! I am a fucking mess! The other day my hair started falling out..." she finally opened her eyes staring me down daring me to speak.

"My parents acted like everything was fine telling me it will grow back...this is too much. I hate this. You should have killed me" she spoke back up after a while.

"Hey. Don't say that-"

"Ben. Listen. I am not like how I used to be. I am so weak right now. I can't even get my parents... It has been a year already and I c-can't" she closed her eyes swallowing.

"Baby, let me help you...please..." I moved my hand towards her and she swatted it away.

"How can you still love me when I am like this? I am not even your age."

"Because you are still you. Whether you are happy, sad, sick, or like...this. Who cares if you're older than me? That just makes you more amazing. You waited a year for me to come to you. You are the same girl that liked to talk a bunch of shit to me. You knocked down my ego, baby. Somehow I was lucky enough to change your mind about me. I love you, okay?" I brought my hand to the side of her face her eyes fluttering open again she just watched me silently. She seemed to be waiting for something.

"I love you too" she finally answered.

"Are you sure you want to stay here?" I caressed the side of her face I needed to get her out of here and put her back to bed.

"No...I wasn't expecting to be here this long"

"C-Can I-"

She nodded her eyes closed as I stood up bending over to wrap an arm around her waist to pull her up to me. She shakily moved her legs until she stood next to me. Her head rested on my shoulder as I tried to help her get to the bed pushing the door open.

"Come on, baby, step with me..."

"I-I am"

The girl sat up abruptly. She nudged me wiping away tears as my girlfriend walked out her hair peeking out of her beanie and her big white scarf wrapped around her neck. I whispered goodbye to the girl standing up and moving towards my love.

"How did it go?"

"They changed the dosage, but I am stuck with that prescription" she sighed shaking her head.

"Sorry, baby"

"It's all fine. You ready to go?"

"Yeah" I looked back at the girl and nodded to her as we walked out of the place. I wrapped my arm around my girlfriend's shoulders. Even though she thinks she is weak I know that she is strong. My baby is a fighter. No matter how bad she feels I won't let her feel less than she is.