4: Natalia the Cookie thief

Start from the beginning

It was a cruel sight. One of morbid and stark contrast.

The children's bible taught Natalia of the story. Every lumerian knew about it. The story of the two angels- one holy, one fallen.

Rafaela and Argus were the God of Light's archangels, master wielders of light. Yet Argus, the angel responsible for the evisceration of evil, had been seduced by the Dark One and thus has fallen from the ranks of all cherubim. 

But he had vowed to wreak vengeance among the Light children- a threat that has yet to be fulfilled to this day.

Natalia never minded it though. While children back at the orphanage worried over the infamous dark angel, she was plotting to steal from their next door neighbors.

Her life of crime- which was supported by the fact that she wasn't religious- ended abruptly when she had been caught looting by the very man of legend himself. Since that fateful encounter (one which the girl deftly remembered involved a cow, three nobles and a cookie jar), Natalia had always regarded Tigreal as a sort of father figure to her.

Natalia hummed as she walked along the rows of pews, waiting patiently for her superior to come. She should have met him earlier today but the cookie matter was in the way. Now she waited, and hoped he wouldn't be in a sour mood. Being the Paladin had it's downsides afterall- most of which involved sleepless nights and enduring endless prattle among the clergy.

The girl stopped humming when she heard the doors creaking open behind her. Tigreal stepped in, his boots pounding heavily on the wooden floors. Natalia noted that he was in full gear, his sword gleamed beneath the candlelight and his shield was out on full display. What was odd was it was the middle of the day, why would he be dressed for battle?

"Natalia." He smiled upon seeing her, making the girl feel warm. "It's good you're back."

"Aye," she hummed. "Sorry it took me so long. Gremlins are nasty."

"Indeed they are. I appreciate you dealing with them efficiently."

Natalia tilted her head. "Mrs. Pan's been going on about the Plague. Has it been getting worse?"

Tigreal sighed, which alarmed Natalia greatly. She had never heard him actually sigh. It was unbecoming of him! She watched him in great trepidation as he put down his weapons. Tigreal's focus wandered, his eyes roaming the fresco paintings. He looked to be in deep thought.

"Tigreal?" Natalia murmured, looking up at him through her hood.

Starltled, the Paladin's gazed locked on hers with an expression she could hardly decipher. Tigreal's eyes then softened, the previous blunder disappearing as quick as it came.

"Yes, it is getting worse. The Plague has spread as far as the Northern regions and I am afraid we can hardly contain it. It is apparent that no healer at our disposal is capable enough to mediate the threat."

"Is it the same with other cities? Why not contact the people at Eruditio? They're geniuses aren't they?" Natalia suggested.

Tigreal chuckled at the notion. "Yes, but their field of expertise relies more on mechanics rather than the human biology or magic. I'm afraid they would be of no use to us."

"How bout Atoinerei?"

The knight shook his head. "Same principles apply and... Natalia are those cookie crumbs on your cheek?"

Natalie swiped her face. "Nope."

"Natalia..." Tigreal sighed, shaking is head in dismay. The girl looked down in embarrassment.

"I-I didn't steal all of them this time. Just one tray!"

"Yes but then we'd have to deal with Mrs. Pan today don't we? And right now I'm not equipped to deal with anything that isn't urgent, you must understand that. How many times do I have to reiterate that people of the Church have to have their fair share." The man scolded.

Natalia pouted, focusing her gaze on anywhere but Tigreal. This feat in itself was difficult seeing as he took up most of her peripheral view with his hulking frame. She decided to settle on staring past the top of his head, directly at a point near Rafaela's mural.

She understood perfectly that now was not the time to act immature as Tigreal would put it, but she found the whole affair tiresome. So what if she lived in a church? It's not as if she prayed anyways! Again, she wasn't religious.

Tigreal was positively dulling her with his sermon on responsibility. She couldn't focus on his words, much less understand them. Into one ear out the other she believed. And to think all this was because she wanted to eat cookies. What a cruel world.

Dear God if you're listening at all, save me.

A flash caught Natalia's eye and she thought she was imagining it.

The tear- the tear on the angel's face was sparkling!

Natalia's eyes bulged. It wasn't sparkling- it was falling. Actual tears were falling out of the mural! They shone with gold hues and the whole image itself seemed to be outlined in bright light. If Natalia wasn't so shell-shocked, she would have noticed that the painting was beginning to crack. She simply stared in awe as the angel's tears continued to flow and glow brighter.

"-which ends our discussion and, are you even listening? What on earth are you looking..." Tigreal had turned to stare behind him, and Natalia saw his body tense. Slowly, he reached for his sword and shield from the ground.

"Natalia, go get the Head Priest." he ordered, not even looking at her.

Startled, Natalia looked at him (or more like his back) in bewilderment. "N-now? But-"

"Now Natlia!" Tigreal barked, shocking the girl to her senses.

"Aye sir." The assassin obeyed, turning swiftly to exit the room.

Behind her, she heard Tigreal whisper in awe.

"She has finally come."

_____________

Lumeria isn't actually the name of the City of Light, I just made it up for the story 0v0

Anyway here's a long chappy! Thank you for reading and Happy New Year to all! :D

(P.S. Who else thinks Lancelot looks less gay in his Christmas skin? XD)