Family Game Night

Start from the beginning

Josh's POV:

"SIT!" Riley said forcefully, and I had to. She has gotten scarier over the years. I blame Maya for it. She always had an influence on Riley, and could be scary when she wanted to be.

"You like Maya. I saw the way you looked at her when (C/N) walked in. You couldn't believe she'd be with HIM when you like her. Josh, you've been rejecting her for three years now." Riley said, and I hung my head, embarrassed that my niece knew my innermost thoughts. But at the same time, she was right. I had been rejecting her for a while. All because she was "too young" for me at the time. But now that she's not, it's too late.

"Riles, I'd do anything for her. You're right, I've been rejecting her for a while now. But if I hadn't, we'd have to break up a few months into the relationship, because I wouldn't be able to date a minor." I said, hoping she understood. I had tried to reason it out with Maya, but I guess she didn't want to be bothered. "Besides, I thought we were playing the long game now?"

"Josh, you guys agreed to live your lives however you pleased. She's not gonna wait forever. She'd have gotten tired of waiting soon, anyways."

"No she won't. She'd wait until the end of time. After all, she's been crushing on Joshua Matthews for a while now. But he never returned her feelings. Or so, she thought he didn't. But did he really? Because that would change literally EVERYTHING!" Maya's voice rang in my ears, and I turned around. The blonde beauty was standing in the doorway, and I could hear (C/N) listening to the baseball game in the living room.

"Maya, I'm really sorry for rejecting you all those years. I wanted to do what was best for you, trust me. I'm still in the long game. But the question is..." Suddenly, my phone rang. Looking at the caller id, I saw (Y/N)'s name pop up on the screen.

"Hey, (Y/N). How are you doing? Um, you got a text from (C/N)? That's funny, because he's at my niece's house, with his girlfriend. I think I've told you about her. Maya Hart? Wait, what do you mean? You like him? Why would you tell me this? Um, that might be too late. She's literally in the doorway of the room I'm in. My niece called me out, telling me to sit in the bay window she has. Long story. Don't worry, it's just a bay window where my niece, her friends, and sometimes family go to sort out problems or misunderstandings with one another. Nah, you didn't interrupt much." I said, nodding at her as she talked, even though she couldn't see me.

"Actually, can I talk to her?" Maya asked, and I asked (Y/N). Handing the phone off, I herded Riley out of the room, giving Maya some privacy, which I was denied of.

Maya's POV:

"Actually, can I talk to her?" I asked, waiting while Josh asked (Y/N). He handed the phone off, and must have gotten a positive answer, for he gave me the phone. He gently pushed Riley out of the room, giving me some privacy, although I denied him any privacy. It was kind of hard, seeing as he accepted before asking me or Riley to leave. I probably would've eavesdropped, though, if we're being honest.

"Maya, right?" (Y/N) asked. "The one Josh always talks about?"

"Depends. What does he say?" I said, curious on what he could possibly tell her. We haven't seen each other in two years, since the ski lodge where we agreed to the long game.

"Only good things. I hear you're blonde, and an amazing artist. So am I. Honestly, I think I remind Josh of someone, which is why he's dating me. Tell him that I'm sorry, but I can't replace the one he TRULY wants to be with. Also, if he wants to still be friends, that would be fine. He didn't seem to find me that interesting as a romantic partner anyways." (Y/N) said, a teasing tone to her voice.

"Um, I guess I'll let him know. Anyways, I just wanted to know. Can we meet up sometime? From what Josh has said about you, and this five minute conversation, you seem pretty cool." I asked, and she sounded like she was smiling.

"Of course, I've got no problem with that. How about the hotdog stand by the lake in Central Park, 5:00, Saturday afternoon?" She said, and I checked the day. It was only Tuesday. Gave me enough time to prepare to meet Josh's (soon-to-be) ex-girlfriend.

"Yeah, sure thing." I said, and she hung up. I went to the door, and kicked it softly, signaling Josh and Riley to back up from the door unless they wanted to fall in about three seconds.

I opened the door, and Josh was standing there, grinning slightly.

"Oh, by the way, she says sorry, but she can't be a replacement for who you actually like, Josh. But that if you want, you guys can still be friends, that's cool with her. Oh, and I'm meeting her by the hotdog stand by the lake in Central Park on Saturday, at 5." I said, going to the living room to sit with (C/N).

-Final Word Count-

1,336

Holy MOLY! I feel as if I have been away from this book FOREVER! I've been concentrating on my Descendants x Reader more, and I feel terrible for everyone who liked this book, and had to wait THIS LONG to read the newest chapter. This chapter is a little confusing, but to sum it up if you didn't get it, your character broke up with Josh, and your crush is "dating" Maya, but that'll be explained in the next chapter, don't worry. Also, I feel like this is not gonna be taken well, but it's my books, so I'm gonna do it anyways. If I have any people who like Descendants reading this book, will you please check out "Hooked on Harry" and "Descendants x Reader"? On the second one, feel free to leave requests! I need more requests to roll in. I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I will not write anything that I would not feel comfortable with my 8-yr old sister reading over my shoulder. Sorry, but as I watch her often, she's almost always reading over my shoulder. Oh, it feels nice to be back on this book again, and don't worry. I have an idea for where I want this book to go now, I had some writer's block PRETTY BAD when it came to the storyline I wanted for this one. With my others, it's Character x Reader, so I can type out a one-shot and be done with it for a while, but this one, I have to remember my storyline. It makes it hard when I barely keep track of my stories IRL. I write, not just on Wattpad. I've been writing since 2nd grade. Like, full chapter stories, not a page or two. I'm too nervous to try to be a published author yet, but I'm working on it. I'm hoping that Wattpad gets those nerves out of me. Because if I can write these for random strangers, on the internet, I can write for anyone in the world to see.