- concern

chapter four
concern
/kənˈsəːn/
(n.) anxiety; worry

anna

  I barged in the door, rushing into Marilla's arms bawling my eyes out, "there, there child." she pauses for a second, " I know how you feel." I let go of the hug wiping my tears.

  "I will be in my room for a while," I faked a smile, "call me down if you need my help." she nods and I took my stuff and walked up to the shared room me and Anne shared. I sit on the bed thinking of the day father broke the news to me that I'm not related to Anne's mother.

  "Anna! come down please." father shouts and I rushed down the wooden staircase and he motions me to sit down on the chair opposite him.

  "yes, father?" I made myself comfy while he sighs.

  "your mother, that you thought is. isn't." he looks down and I just stared blankly into the wall behind him. " I'm sorry Anna, I should have told you earlier."

  "it's okay father." I faked a smile trying not to let a single tear slip out of my eyes. "I understand father." I slowly stand up and walked to my room.

  I snapped out of it when I see Anne and Gilbert walked into the room, I quickly turn to face behind me as if I was finding something to cover up that I was having my flashback and also crying. "Anna?" Anne walked towards me and putting her hands on my shoulder, " Gilbert came." I simply nod and wipe my tears.

  "I will be down in a second." hoping Gilbert will take the hint and go downstairs and I'm guessing he did because I heard footsteps leaving the room." Anne, you do know we are sort of not related right?" I sniffed.

she nods, " okay let's get you cleaned up, Gilbert is downstairs. he's concerned about you. finally, a boy that cares about you." I laughed and wiped away the remaining tears. we walked down the stairs and I see Gilbert at the dining table with Marilla and he looks rather uncomfortable.

"Marilla, stop drilling him questions." I chuckled and Gilbert smiles at me. " I'm fine guys don't worry." Marilla nods and continues whatever she was doing before.

"hey." I manage to greet him and I sit down opposite him. " what brings you here?" even though I already knew he was here cause he was concerned.

"I just wanna," he looks up, " talk." well wasn't that creepy.

"about?" I said playing with my fingers, " there's really nothing much to talk about. I mean, I barely know you."

"Mr Phillips didn't want you to be behind class so he asked me to come over and tutor you cause you ran from class today. and we covered quite a lot after you left." He smiles at me. and I looked away from him.

"He could have ask Anne, why you?" I ask suspiciously and he just laughs which caught me off guard cause I thought he was stunned.

"apparently because of the 'age gap'." he reaches for his backpack and took out his learning materials. "so you wanna learn or you wanna keep staring at me."

"I, uh, ge-get start learn." I scratch the back of my head and went upstairs to take my learning materials. and I see Anne smiling at me, "what?" she smiles even wider and continue to read her book.

"that's all." he simply said after we did some fractions, nouns and other stuff. "hope you come to school tomorrow?"

the thought of school makes me puke, Mr Phillips makes me puke. He dared to say that to me! he would be done once I tell everyone his secret. it hurts when he picks on Anne just because she is a red-headed girl and also she is an orphan. I am too, why not me?