Chapter 30 - The Move

Beginne am Anfang

 I wrapped my hand around his wrist, loving the way his touch felt on my skin, like little tingles of lightning. "I love you,"

 "I love you too," he said. He placed a swift kiss on my forehead before pulling back. "Come on,"

 We both scrambled out of the jeep and I didn't even bother to question Stiles when he pulled a baseball bat out of the back seat. I've just grown to be used to his antics at this point. I followed him as he guided us through the trees. The wind was blowing so hard I had to grab Stiles' hand to keep my balance. I was thankful I'd decided to pull my hair into a ponytail back when we were waiting for the three of them to wake up.

 The ground beneath us was shaking and dirt was spiraling in the air. Actual clumps of the ground were beginning to fall out from under us as we ran. "It's Jennifer," I said. "She must be connecting with the currents and that's what's causing the storm,"

 I nearly ran into Stiles when he stopped walking. My jaw dropped when I saw what it was he was looking at. The root cellar beneath the Nemeton was caving in, and even with the wind I could hear the rapid heartbeats of the people stuck below.

 "Oh my god," I said. "Stiles, where are you - ?"

 He had already disappeared, jumping down into the small opening of the cellar. Without waiting another moment, I followed him down. When me feet hit the ground, I realized that Stiles had stuck his bat in between the dirt and the top of the cellar, keeping it up from caving in.

 "I said aluminum was better than wood," said Sheriff Stilinski.

 A smile made it's way onto my face as Stiles hugged his father. My eyes then landed on Eric, who was panting and covered in sweat next to Isaac. They must have been trying to hold the roof up before it caved in completely. I crawled over to my brother and wrapped him up in a hug was well.

 The ground stopped crumbling and the wind died down. A calming air swept through the cellar. We all glanced around at each other, Stiles still holding the bat up by the handle to keep it sturdy. 

 "Is it over?" Allison asked.

 There was a moment of pause, and when we heard no gust of wind, no crumbling of the earth, we knew that the storm had come to an end. Jennifer had been connecting her power to the currents, which meant that now they've stopped, she's been stopped.

 Stiles pulled his buzzing phone out of his pocket and brought it up to his ear. "Scott?"

 "Hey, are you okay?" Scott said on the other end.

 "Yeah, we're okay," said Stiles, meeting my eyes and then looking around at everyone else. "We're all okay. How about you? You okay?"

 "Sort of," said Scott.

 "Well, you think you can come get us?" Stiles asked.

 "Yeah, of course,"

 "Great, um okay...bring a ladder,"

 We all laughed, and it didn't feel wrong. It felt good.

 ☀

 I took one last, lingering look at my bedroom that was now empty of all furniture and personal belongings. All of that was in a moving truck outside. It felt so strange seeing it this way, with nothing but bare walls and an uncovered floor. 

 I strode over to my window. It was open, but curtains no longer covered it. With a deep breath I crawled out onto that spot on the roof that has become such a haven for me. If there's anything I'm truly going to miss about this house, it's this. So many personal things have happened here. This is where Mom and I spent so many silent nights, where Stiles asked me to be his girlfriend. It's sad saying goodbye to a place that holds memories like that, but it's time to move on.