2. Field of Innocence

High School Never Ends

Chapter 2: Where has my heart gone?

Aoife awoke to a beautiful morning.

 The sun's rays peeked from the curtain creating a luminescent glow throughout her room. The birds were chirping animatedly, but not to the point it was noisy. In fact, it was peaceful, harmonious even. Aoife sat up-straight and stretched her arms, yawning all the while. A furry being then climbed on her lap and nudged her face on her cheek.

"Good Morning, Percival. Beautiful Morning, isn't it?" Aoife petted her head. She then climbed out of her bed and made her way to the bathroom. "I better wake Nathan. After I get dressed, of course. "

After brushing her hair, washing her face and brushing her teeth. She wore the sleeveless ice blue dress with a puffy skirt that she took out of her walk-in-closet and a pair of white platforms. Once she was dressed, she made her way to her vanity mirror and pulled out a blue headband. She settled it gently on her head, taming her the curls and waves of her hair. She brushed the tips of her wavy, curly, thick, princess-like hair and looked at herself in the mirror. "There, all set. Let's go, Percy."

Percival let out an approving meow before following Aoife out the door. They had arrived in Nathan's room. Aoife gently knocked on the door. "Nathan? Are you up?"

A stifled moan replied. Aoife went inside the room and opened the curtains. The sudden light had immediately awakened Nathan. "You better get out of bed or we'll be late. I'll be eating breakfast downstairs, so you better get dressed." Nathan rubbed his eyes and yawned. She then kissed Nathan's forehead before leaving. As she descended the stairs, she was enveloped with the smell of egg and toast. She inhaled a good amount and then exhaled in contentment.

"That's smells divine." Aoife  commented when she entered the kitchen. A strawberry blond smiled as Aoife entered. "Morning Aoife."

"Top of the Morning to you as well, Evanson." Aoife sat on the counter top across her elder brother. She took a piece of toast on her plate and bit it. The butter spread through the toast melted in her mouth. Moaning appreciatively, she pointed her fork to her brother. "I swear your butter toast tastes like heaven." She then cut out a piece of egg on her plate and swallowed it.

"Why thank you, Aoife. Has Nathan awoke yet?"

"He just woke up and is getting changed, well I think so." Aoife said after swallowing her toast.  She took a sip of her chamomile tea with utmost grace that seemed natural and unpracticed.

"You seem to be in a good mood today. Why are you up so early anyway?" Evanson inquired. Aoife let out a chortle at Evanson's unintentional rhyme. "Well that was uncalled for."

Aoife then looked at her tea, all trace of humour gone. "Aldrin's friends are preparing a suprise for their senior friends. Seeing how tomorrow's your last day, they wanted to make it memorable."

"Oh." Evanson remained silent after his reply. After a short while, Aoife continued. "Maybe they'll get to  organize it for themselves this time." Evanson's eyes wandered. " You know you shouldn't get carried away with them."

Aoife said nothing. As much as she wanted to reassure her brother, she couldn't lower her pride. She wasn't going to admit she was fickle. Aldrin's group of friends consisted of popular people, so it was not unusual. It's just proceeded to finish her sunny side up and toast. "Well I must be going, Kirsten is picking us up."

Evanson looked bewildered. "Kirsten? She doesn't seem like the type to do anyone favors."

"We're not exactly close but she's sure to do anything for Aldrin. Anyways, you'd be the one to drop Nathan off to school." Aoife picked up her small backpack and took checked its contents. She slung her bag around her shoulders after deeming it complete.

When she walked out the door, Evanson called out. "Don't forget, I have football practice today!"

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆

"Morning Blondie!"

"Good Morning, Aldrin. You do know you' re blond as well  right." Aoife rolled her eyes when she went over Aldrin's house. Aldrin pushed himself from the wall  he leaned on and met Aoife halfway.

"Yeah, but mine has a darker shade. I have natural highlights whereas you are purely blonde "

"Oh, shut your trap." Aoife scowled.

Aldrin chuckled, seeing as he won their argument."Kirsten is coming by the way. She just texted me now."

"Who will come along?" Aoife asked.

"Just You, Kirsten and Laura. I seriously can't wait for the surprise! I bet Victoria and Christoph will be surprised!"

Aoife smiled dryly. "That would depend if they like it. We can't be too sure. After all, Victoria hates surprises."

"Well she's gonna like this one! I'm sure she will." Aldrin supplied.

"I'm pretty sure she will." was Aoife's sarcastic remark. Despite discussing a sore topic (for Aoife, that is), she couldn't help but let a small creep from her face. Her best friend's enthusiasm was infectious. Despite their qualms, Aoife never meant any of insults. And if ever she acted snobby and mean, Aldrin never took it to heart. There was more to their friendship than anyone thought.

"You're so bitter. Deep down inside, I know that you'd terribly miss them."

"Oh what do you know." Aoife defended.

Aldrin grinned widely. "I know that you feel sad about them leaving."

"No I don't."

"Yes you do"

"I said I don't."

"Just because you don't, doesn't mean you won't." Aldrin teased. Aoife scowled and turned red.